Used live rock

  • Thread starter Thread starter rugerjr
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rugerjr

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 9, 2014
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought some rock from a guy that pulled it out of his 90 gallon reef tank about a year ago. It's been out of water since. Will I need to do anything to the rock before placing in my established tank? Any advice is greatly appreciated
 
I think I would cure it before adding to an established tank. That way you don't throw your tank into a cycle and possibly lose everything.
 
How much rock are you trying to add to your tank? If you wanted to go slow you could add a piece at a time. Any die off would be neutralized by your exsisting bacteria.
But the safest way would to be to cure it before adding.
 
I decided to cure it since I am doubling the amount of rock in my tank. I put it in the bucket of saltwater with a power head last night and it stunk today when I got home from work. I also got some sand from the guys old tank. It's all been dry for about a year. Do I need to cure sand also? I've never added to my tank like this. Thanks for the replies!
 
You don't need to cure sand. you'll just want to wash it really, really well before adding.
 
Ok. Can I use tap water to wash it? Or do I need to use salt water?
 
I would use tap water to rinse it. When it's clean one last rinse in RODI water before adding it to your tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new