Used live rock

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I am setting up a 220 gallon tank. I will be transferring 120lbs of live rock from my current system. I also purchased about 450lbs if used live rock. 300lbs a guy had from a tank he broke down and he had it in two large barrels keeping it live. The other 150lbs I guy dry from a tank he broke down over a year ago. My question is should I let all of the rock dry out and add it to my 220 with my 120 lbs? Should I dry it and then cycle it with a piece from my system in each barrel? Should I soak it in fresh water then do either of the above? I don’t want the cycle to happen if it doesn’t have to or at least in the tank. Thank in advance.

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to mention too, the rock that I got live has been out of water about 24 hrs. Now. I have poured water over it twice to keep it wet.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gut says to keep the rock (that's a lotta rock!) live, if you can ... but then my head asks "why did the other fellow shut down his tank?"

At this point, I would expect at least a small cycle, given that some of the life on the purchased rock is likely to have died over the last 24 hours. Anyone else on the #reefsquad have some thoughts on the matter?

~Bruce

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank Bruce. The guy told me he shut his tank down because he travels to much. He also shared with me he had marine velvet a while back. He said that he cured the velvet a long time ago. I lean to believe him because there would be no reason to keep the rock live if it was active while he was breaking his tank down. Also his tank was operating only a few days before I arrived.

Old Glory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I would inspect the rock for pests to see if there were any aptasia or algae on them. Manually clean then I would cure the rock in dark covered tubs. For 8-10 weeks to kill off any bad stuff. If the rocks were really covered in pests I would dry it out then cure.

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cure it with a piece from my tank?

Old Glory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Live Aquaria - Live rock must be properly cured to create a healthy marine environment. The biodiversity found on all transported live rock undergo some degree of natural die-off, especially delicate or damaged fauna and flora. As these encrusting organisms go through this process, they produce a large amount of waste materials. Without proper curing, pollutants and toxic compounds such as ammonia are released into the water and compromise the health of your entire aquarium system. Whether pre-cured or uncured, it is crucial to never introduce any live rock to an established aquarium containing fish, corals, or other marine animals unless it has been properly cured.

Curing process of live rock for the established display aquarium that already contains fish, corals, or any other marine animals.
  1. Place the live rock in a new 30-gallon plastic garbage can. Consider adding bottom drains to the container to speed draining and water changes.
  2. Completely cover the rock with freshly mixed saltwater, with a specific gravity of 1.025.
  3. Use a heater and keep the water temperature near 80 degrees to speed die off.
  4. Provide constant water movement with a power head or airstone.
  5. Keep the area dimly lit to prevent algae blooms.
  6. Perform 100% water changes weekly.
  7. Gently scrub the rock with a nylon bristle brush between water changes to remove any white film or dead material.
  8. When the water conditions stabilize and ammonia and nitrite tests are zero, the rock is ready to be placed into the display aquarium.
Basically you are letting all the dead stuff fall off the the rock so it doesn't pollute your tank. The process will also clean the rock of any unwanted pests. You have a lot of rock so it will be work but it will ensure you start out with clean pest free rock that will still have a ton of good bacteria.

BRS Video. I wouldn't use my display tank to cure but a good overview
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/howto-curing-live-rock-for-saltwater-aquariums/

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that’s going to be a lot of scrubbing. I wish I would not have shut if my rodi before I left for work now. So if I follow these steps when I move everything from my 90 to my new 220 I will not see a cycle in the tank? And I didn’t see it in the live aquaria material, should I seed impeach bucket with a piece from my tank? Also when I change the water in my 90 would it be beneficial to use that water for this process?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that is a lot of rock from whole lot of different tanks's. I would feel safer starting with new rock than having to deal with possible issues with the current rock

Ryan Browne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started my tank, I didnt know anything about pests that can be attached to live rock. I went on Craigslist and bought live rock from three different people. Most of
the rock seemed to lack any life at all. One guy I bought rock from had some coral and sponges growing on his rock. He also had other things hiding in his live rock that I found later. Aptasia, Bristleworms, Brittle Starfish, Spionid worms, Vermetid Worms and Asterina to name a few. Some of these things are good, some are considered bad. My point is you never know what your going to get. I would dry out a bunch of the rock that came from that guy, and see what falls out, just to be safe. My biggest problem are the bristleworms; In general they dont bother me, I keep them as part of my clean up crew. The problem I have with them is they reproduce fast, and I have to manage their population. About every 6 months I have to pull out some live rock and remove the bristle worms because they get too big. Good luck.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan I have seen bristleworms 3 feet long I fish and coral transhippers [emoji3]Aptasia comes in from coral holding systems and then infests the rock

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. The 120lbs in my tank now was reef saver rock just because of that. 150 pounds of the rock I bought has been dry over a year so that should just need a rinsing off. The 250 of live I can spread out to dry. Then I will essentially be starts fresh with all of the new rock I bought and I can seed it all with the rock I have in my tank know which I know is pest free. Sound like what your suggesting? Thanks

Ryan Browne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am waiting for the day when I find a 3 foot long Bristleworm in my tank. If I do, im going to buy a tank just for it. Haha

Ryan I have seen bristleworms 3 feet long I fish and coral transhippers [emoji3]Aptasia comes in from coral holding systems and then infests the rock

Old Glory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you dry it out you will want to cure it in tubs and barrels outside your tank. It will have dead dry things on it you want to cure off of it. You don't want to do this in your tank it will take forever and create problems down the road. Best practice is to let it soak for a month or two in salt water with power heads and heaters. Let the stuff rot off and cycle the rock outside the display tank.

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so let all of the rock dry then put it in buckets for a couple months and change the water periodically?

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after doing a lot of readings my online here and other sites I soaked the rock in bleach/water for 5 days. I drained all of that last night and replaced it with water and added prime. I tested this morning and all three buckets were negative for chlorine. I was going to drain that again tonight do it and then soak them in rodi for a while.

Back