Used splash-less bleach while curing live rock

Deej1534

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have found a few old posts about this from 2019 and older but nothing too recent. I was a fricken idiot and just grabbed Clorox without thinking or looking I dumped it in my bin for curing new rock. It ended up being splash-less bleach and now I am trying to figure out what to do to save this rock. It sat in the bleach from Friday night till Monday night. After that I moved it to a new bin and started soaking in ro water with dechlorinator. I had no idea splash-less was such an issue.

I have switched out the water twice in the can and pulled some out. There is a slight bleach smell but not terrible. I have some sitting out drying.

What do I need to do here to save the rock?

I am going to dump the water and just add normal tap water because it’s quicker and soak it again in fresher water.

Some of the rock has a weird build up on it. Not sure if that’s from the different chemicals used in the splash-less or not. See pic below.

Anyone who has experience with doing this by accident too please tell me what you did. This is 200lbs of rock and wasn’t cheap so I really wanna save it.

IMG_0632.jpeg
IMG_0631.png
IMG_0629.jpeg

IMG_0628.jpeg IMG_0630.jpeg

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I know it’s too late now, but for future reference…. Pool cleaning bleach is pure chlorine and is way stronger (10%). It looks like the whiter areas are calcification from coralline that just bleached super white. I would keep doing rinse soaks. The detergent SHOULD eventually either break down or wash out.

OP
OP
Deej1534

Deej1534

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s too late now, but for future reference…. Pool cleaning bleach is pure chlorine and is way stronger (10%). It looks like the whiter areas are calcification from coralline that just bleached super white. I would keep doing rinse soaks. The detergent SHOULD eventually either break down or wash out.
So have ppl been okay after doing this? The rock has been soaking in to water for about 24 hrs now. I added prime but I was worried this white is like a build up. A lot of the rock has this white on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0633.jpeg
    IMG_0633.jpeg
    369.9 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
Deej1534

Deej1534

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it will absolutely ruin the rock, it may just take a little while longer to soak it. Though I’m not an expert, @Randy Holmes-Farley is. He may have answers for you
Thanks I’ll wait till tomorrow for a reply. I have some sitting out drying and some still in the bin and added some power heads more dechlorinator and a pump pushing water from the bottom of the bin to the top. Hopefully this will help losen things up

OP
OP
Deej1534

Deej1534

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure you will be fine. It will take some extra rinsing though. Splashless bleach is just bleach with a detergent like additive. Just keep on rinsing.
Should I possibly add some vinegar to help break down any build up? I have a ton of hydrogen peroxide too lol

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bleach part of it has already been neutralized with the De-clor. Even if you still smell a bleach smell don't worry about that. What you have left now is, imagine you took dish soap and washed your live rock in it. You have to rinse that out.

OP
OP
Deej1534

Deej1534

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bleach part of it has already been neutralized with the De-clor. Even if you still smell a bleach smell don't worry about that. What you have left now is, imagine you took dish soap and washed your live rock in it. You have to rinse that out.
So just keep running water changes I guess till that smell is gone. The rock I have sitting out the smell has seemed to go away. They have been it for a few hours.

I guess at this point soaking it in ro doesn’t matter if I am gonna have to keep running water changes like this.

I can either do the last bath in ro or just sun dry for bit to ensure everything has been released from the rock

OP
OP
Deej1534

Deej1534

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try agitating the water and see if it foams up. An air stone would be a good way to tell. If it suds up keep rinsing.
I noticed earlier when one of the power heads was hitting the surface hard there was a ton of suds that when I stopped doing what I was doing lol. Luckily nothing went into the tank yet

OP
OP
Deej1534

Deej1534

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would adding hydrogen peroxide to the bucket help break down the bleach?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
Deej1534

Deej1534

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing this!! I read through the chain but I didn’t really see a solution. The rock has been sitting in tap water mixed with vinegar for 24 hrs and soaked off and on and then sun-dried the day before that. Today I emptied the vinegar water and am soaked it in tap water with air stones. I am still seeing bubbles from the soap.

Do you know of anything I can add to neutralize the soap? And remove it from the rock?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, sorry, I'm not sure of a good solution here other than repeatedly soaking and rinsing. If budget allows, I'd just replace the rock.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Soaking it alone won’t do it. The game is diluting out the detergent which even if it’s just a tiny amount will continue to cause issues. I would consider a garden hose in a vat of water and letting it run for a couple of hours to guarantee that all the detergent is gone and then an RO rinse.

OP
OP
Deej1534

Deej1534

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soaking it alone won’t do it. The game is diluting out the detergent which even if it’s just a tiny amount will continue to cause issues. I would consider a garden hose in a vat of water and letting it run for a couple of hours to guarantee that all the detergent is gone and then an RO rinse.
Okay will do that is what I have basically been doing. The sudsing doesn’t seem nearly as bad as it was. I wonder if drying the rock in the sun has any effect. My thoughts were it would maybe dry the visa or soap areas.

Do you think doing another bleaching with just straight bleach not the no spill would break it down?

I have been using vinegar which has seemed to help a lot too

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Okay will do that is what I have basically been doing. The sudsing doesn’t seem nearly as bad as it was. I wonder if drying the rock in the sun has any effect. My thoughts were it would maybe dry the visa or soap areas.

Do you think doing another bleaching with just straight bleach not the no spill would break it down?

I have been using vinegar which has seemed to help a lot too
The bleach will not break down soap. At this point diluting it out is your very best option. It WILL be okay, 100%. Just keep diluting out. Running water would be best. Drying out rocks is a bad idea as it might lead to more binding, you want this substance to go. Baking soda OR vinegar are your safest options that will help to break down the soap itself.

OP
OP
Deej1534

Deej1534

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bleach will not break down soap. At this point diluting it out is your very best option. It WILL be okay, 100%. Just keep diluting out. Running water would be best. Drying out rocks is a bad idea as it might lead to more binding, you want this substance to go.
sounds good I will keep soaking and letting water run through the buckets. What a fricken mistake to make

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 32 21.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 35 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 39 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back