Usefulness of ProfiLux Touch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

How useful do you find theProfiLux Touch to be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thing is if you get the ultimate kit there is 2 PAB cable inside. one for touch one for power bar.
ha, OK, so I should have been more specific, completely my fault.
I was referring for accessories/individual purchases. For the kits, they come included. :)

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the original question (I missed this thread until now), I think it varies on a case by case basis.
I didn't have one for about a year. I was fine without it but now that I have it I really do find it useful.
Here it is installed on my current tank. It's right around the corner from the tank, and across from our back door, where I let the dogs out every morning right after rolling out of bed.
So I'm walking by it anyway, and can immediately see my Tank Temp, Tank Ph, Conductivity, Caclium Reactor Ph, and Return Pump Flow. All without bending down, opening up the stand doors, and waiting for the P4 to cycle through it's screens with 2 parameters per screen. Same with when I come home. I open the door, walk in and immediately can see if anything is out of whack.

I also use it a lot to turn on/off a socket (like the refugium light if I'm cleaning it out), or enter feed mode or a maintenance mode. Again, easier than using the P4 directly.

I don't attempt to do any kind of programming/change settings on there. Too slow/cumbersome compared to using GCC.

i-hfCNnNm.jpg

i-9c25jXv-XL.jpg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the original question (I missed this thread until now), I think it varies on a case by case basis.
I didn't have one for about a year. I was fine without it but now that I have it I really do find it useful.
Here it is installed on my current tank. It's right around the corner from the tank, and across from our back door, where I let the dogs out every morning right after rolling out of bed.
So I'm walking by it anyway, and can immediately see my Tank Temp, Tank Ph, Conductivity, Caclium Reactor Ph, and Return Pump Flow. All without bending down, opening up the stand doors, and waiting for the P4 to cycle through it's screens with 2 parameters per screen. Same with when I come home. I open the door, walk in and immediately can see if anything is out of whack.

I also use it a lot to turn on/off a socket (like the refugium light if I'm cleaning it out), or enter feed mode or a maintenance mode. Again, easier than using the P4 directly.

I don't attempt to do any kind of programming/change settings on there. Too slow/cumbersome compared to using GCC.

i-hfCNnNm.jpg

i-9c25jXv-XL.jpg
Thanks, I'm confident I made the right decision in getting it. I just didn't want a repeat of the Apex display where it wasn't even useful for initiating a feed mode. Way too cumbersome. I loved many things about my Apex but I am looking forward to the switch.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ultimate kit is still sitting unopened. :(

Hopefully that changes this weekend.
I was going to ask you some questions! then remembered you weren't ready just yet! :/ Dont worry I'll still be waiting for you buddy ;)

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understand this is an old thread but I am considering buying the Touch and have one question.

I have been using both the connect app as well as the myghl, but to me they have one very important shortcoming: if you use either to manually shut off an outlet (say your return to perform some sort of maintenance) as soon as your device goes into sleep mode the outlet goes back to its default position potentially causing a big mess (it happened to me). Than you in panic reach for your phone and it tells you that the connection was lost and you need to exit the app, re enter, go to the appropriate menu, press “Manual override”, and hit the off position again, while water is flying everywhere...

So my question is, with the touch when you manually turn off outlets, do they stay off or do they revert back to the default setting after a couple of minutes?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understand this is an old thread but I am considering buying the Touch and have one question.

I have been using both the connect app as well as the myghl, but to me they have one very important shortcoming: if you use either to manually shut off an outlet (say your return to perform some sort of maintenance) as soon as your device goes into sleep mode the outlet goes back to its default position potentially causing a big mess (it happened to me). Than you in panic reach for your phone and it tells you that the connection was lost and you need to exit the app, re enter, go to the appropriate menu, press “Manual override”, and hit the off position again, while water is flying everywhere...

So my question is, with the touch when you manually turn off outlets, do they stay off or do they revert back to the default setting after a couple of minutes?

Thanks!
I use the 4 maintenance mode settings to turn the outlets off using the Touch. I put a timer on each mode to cause everything to revert back in case I forget to take it out of maintenance mode. For instance, my main maintenance mode turns off my skimmer, return pump, heaters and ATO. They will stay off for 90 minutes or until I turn that maintenance mode off.

I've never tried to use it to turn an individual outlet off, so I'm curious about that, but I wouldn't expect it to be any different.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Brew. It is a pain if for what ever reason you need to turn off just one socket in an emergency (imagine your heater breaks inside there tank, or ATO gets stuck in the “On” position...) and you have no convenient way to do it other than reach for the plug and unplug it.

I can’t imagine why would this be a difficult thing to implement and to me should be a basic function.

If the touch allows for this than I will certainty get one.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They stay off forever unless you back out of manual mode. The screen will just stay on and wait for you to change the outlet back or back out of manual mode indefinitely. It's a nice thing to have!

It's just a couple clicks (2 I think) to get to manual mode. Takes probably 2 or 3 seconds, there's no delay or anything.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They stay off forever unless you back out of manual mode. The screen will just stay on and wait for you to change the outlet back or back out of manual mode indefinitely. It's a nice thing to have!
Yup, this. ^^^
But as also stated a few posts up, you can set up a maintenance mode with a timer for however long you want. Which is also easily accessible on the Touch. ;)

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product/profilux-touch/
I have my water changing system setup with buttons. While I can do it with MyGHL or GHL Connect it is easier to just hit the button on my touch
which I mounted right next to my garage door going into the house.

From the webpage above:

Additional Functions
ProfiLux Touch offers some practical additional functions:

• Start of special functions (feeding pause, water change, maintenance or thunderstorm)
  • Measurement recording and display (up to 4 million values)
  • Remote control of the ProfiLux
  • Manual switching of sockets

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I horribly under use my Touch but I am incredibly glad I got it. Even its basic functionality is fantastic.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back