Usefulness of ProfiLux Touch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

How useful do you find theProfiLux Touch to be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering making the jump from Apex to GHL.

With the Apex, I found little value in the small Display Module.

I was looking for peoples thoughts on how useful the ProfiLux Touch is with their GHL controllers. If I do decide to go forward with the switch I figure it is the perfect time to take advantage of the current sale.

Thanks!

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do it! :)

I like the Profilux Touch quite a bit but i do all the programming on a computer. I use the Touch to turn things off quickly or just to cycle threw stats on the tank (temp,ph and so on). You can also remote mount the controller as the wires are quite long and you can buy extensions for everything.

Is it needed, I would say no.
Is it convenient, Yes.

Last edited:

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my eye on the profilux 4, too, especially with the app re-work that they did. Where did you see it on sale?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also was wondering how useful the touch is, would love some more feedback. I have an iPad so I could make my own sort of touch pad; just not sure if it’s worth it for the extra $$.

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is better then using the controls on the P4.
Yes you can do it on the P4 but it is quite nice having a screen that is directly connected to the P4 as it is quite intuitive. The apex screen is meh... This is actually useful in situations. You can also customize it to a certai extent.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Profilux touches on my system.

One by the display tank and another down stairs by my sump and the iPhone app.

What I like about the touch is it very easy to use, the display is clear to read and the touch displays are right where I will always need to do certain tasks for example feeding. I just reach down and hit the display.

I use the touch upstairs for feed modes, and the one in my basement to access maintenance modes.

If I walk by my tank and go wait something may be wrong the display is right there to show me what's going on without going getting my phone or my laptop or tablet to log into the device or access the myghl website.

One advantage I will give the touch(unless someone can tell me another way) is any error on your tank is shown in the display. (P4 display shows errros also) For example if my ATO are showing low water I see the alerts in the display until the ATO finishes it task.

Is it a must have, no but it is 100% convenience. I can not count the times being at my tank and going darn I left my phone charging at my kitchen counter let me run and get it to access feed mode, or in the basement going I need to activate maitenance mode x and not having my laptop or phone on me.

HippieSmell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally worth it. Being able to turn off powerheads and other outlets by pushing a button is sooooo much better than menu diving or having to find your tablet or start the computer. Also having the parameters instantly readable is convenient. I couldn't be without it.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally worth it. Being able to turn off powerheads and other outlets by pushing a button is sooooo much better than menu diving or having to find your tablet or start the computer. Also having the parameters instantly readable is convenient. I couldn't be without it.
s it a must have, no but it is 100% convenience. I can not count the times being at my tank and going darn I left my phone charging at my kitchen counter let me run and get it to access feed mode, or in the basement going I need to activate maitenance mode x and not having my laptop or phone on me.
Great feedback guys, thanks.

I just don't want a repeat of my Apex display. I ended up taking it down after a few weeks and putting it away. The controls were just too cumbersome to use.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 the apex display and the touch display are night and day in comparison.

As a user of both I would hands down choose the touch over the orange Apex display anyday.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bought my P4 I was questioning a touch myself and tried a tablet instead. It never works well so I bought a touch and it's brilliant. I can see my parameters as I walk by and operate maintence programs at the touch of a button. Not sure how it will stand upto the new app on a tablet though.

cpllongjk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents!

First off, the Touch is not needed but it does make things easier. I love my Touch because I have the ability to put up to 4 different "Feed" modes or "Maintenance" modes into action very quickly. Also you can do "Storm" mode which I use for kicking up detritus when cleaning the tank so waste goes down the overflow and gets blown all around. With the touch you can also look at graphs very easily too.

There are a few things I want from the Touch...
1. I would like the ability to turn off unused maintenance/feed modes so they are not on the screen if I don't need them.
2. I would also like the ability to organize sensor/dosing pump data better so the Touch doesn't have to "rotate" screens. I like to look at things at a quick glance and with many probes/pumps you will have a cycle of data on the screen.
3. I would love the ability to change the background images at will. They give you a few options but adding my own image would be amazing (I want to add a StarWars logo).

- That said... IMHO the new connect app is on its way to replacing the Touch. The Connect App can enter maintenance modes, feed modes, storm modes... all of that. Once graphing is added Profilux users will have the ability to use a IPAD or Android tablet as their controller screen.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents!

First off, the Touch is not needed but it does make things easier. I love my Touch because I have the ability to put up to 4 different "Feed" modes or "Maintenance" modes into action very quickly. Also you can do "Storm" mode which I use for kicking up detritus when cleaning the tank so waste goes down the overflow and gets blown all around. With the touch you can also look at graphs very easily too.

There are a few things I want from the Touch...
1. I would like the ability to turn off unused maintenance/feed modes so they are not on the screen if I don't need them.
2. I would also like the ability to organize sensor/dosing pump data better so the Touch doesn't have to "rotate" screens. I like to look at things at a quick glance and with many probes/pumps you will have a cycle of data on the screen.
3. I would love the ability to change the background images at will. They give you a few options but adding my own image would be amazing (I want to add a StarWars logo).

- That said... IMHO the new connect app is on its way to replacing the Touch. The Connect App can enter maintenance modes, feed modes, storm modes... all of that. Once graphing is added Profilux users will have the ability to use a IPAD or Android tablet as their controller screen.
From your viewpoint, if you were to buy a new ProfiLux today with your current experience. Would you purchase the one with the touch, or just plan on using it with another device such as an iPad or something similar? Don’t wanna get a touch then have the new iPad features outweigh it in functionality and extra cost.

cpllongjk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your viewpoint, if you were to buy a new ProfiLux today with your current experience. Would you purchase the one with the touch, or just plan on using it with another device such as an iPad or something similar? Don’t wanna get a touch then have the new iPad features outweigh it in functionality and extra cost.

That's a tough question. You could always get the Profilux without the Touch and then add it later. It really depends on if you "Need" it. When I bought mine the Connect App didn't exist. The Connect App changes things. At the end of the day it's up to you and how you want to spend your money. My suggestion is to try the Profilux without one first and use the Connect App or GCC... then if you feel you need it add it later.

Also keep in mind the current version of Connect App is only for iOS and not out for Android yet. It is also a Beta version and will improve over time.

cpllongjk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please keep in mind I really love my Profilux Touch but I am giving you an honest and un-biased opinion. I am not trying to sell you a product.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the touch yet, getting myself a big xmas present of GHL toys to finish off my system and that is one of them, although it's kinda not needed with the app. For me its just a want, but not necessary and will come after another doser, KH, and a third powerbar.

I do quite love the GHL products!

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 for pushing a button

I've effectively turned the pause button on my Reef Octopus Varios return into my Feed Mode / WC mode. When I pause the return, the water level in my sump increases which triggers a float sensor that shuts down my skimmer (no overflow) and my in-tank circulation pumps. The Varios goes back to normal after 15 minutes and everything returns to normal.

Partly why I'm doing this, it's easier to press a single button than wake up the P4 display, then browse + select a menu item.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate all the input guys, very helpful!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back