Using 5.5G plastic container to quarantine nano fish

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use a 5.5G plastic container to quarantine 1 or 2 gobies and similar nano fish for the standard 1.5 month quarantine period with copper?

Are there plastics that aren't compatible with copper tretaments?

Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use a 5.5G plastic container to quarantine 1 or 2 gobies and similar nano fish for the standard 1.5 month quarantine period with copper?

Thanks!

All food safe plastics would be fine to use. Some plastics, like certain garbage cans, have chemicals added to control odor or bacteria, those are not safe.

Copper treatments are compatible with plastics.

With any small QT, you need to ensure that it has a good bio filter to manage ammonia.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Thanks!
I favor the clear rubbermaid type tubs as alternates to a tank however some can be difficult to use with filters and other components why I often recommend a starter tank kit from walmart which has most of the essential saving money at the end

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper can interact with certain plastics and cause them to degrade or break down faster. The most common plastics that copper can degrade are polycarbonate, ABS and PVC. When copper comes into contact with these plastics, it can cause a chemical reaction that leads to the breakdown of the plastic material, causing it to become brittle, discolored, or otherwise damaged. Some plastics are more resistant to copper corrosion than others, such as polyethylene and polypropylene.

Personally, I have not had an issue with this as I typically only do this in a QT or breeder tank, never in the DT or something I plan to later use as one.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper can interact with certain plastics and cause them to degrade or break down faster. The most common plastics that copper can degrade are polycarbonate, ABS and PVC. When copper comes into contact with these plastics, it can cause a chemical reaction that leads to the breakdown of the plastic material, causing it to become brittle, discolored, or otherwise damaged. Some plastics are more resistant to copper corrosion than others, such as polyethylene and polypropylene.

Personally, I have not had an issue with this as I typically only do this in a QT or breeder tank, never in the DT or something I plan to later use as one.

Amine-based copper medications do not appreciably react with polycarbonate, ABS or PVC. There is a minimal issue with adsorption, but that is based on the surface area of the material, and isn't noticeable except with material that have really high surface area - like bio media.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back