Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to take this conversation a bit more....a grounding probe without GFCI is of no safety to your tank. Without the GFCI, and you now have a voltage leak, you now have current. And current is the killer. Without the GFCI, you'll never know when you're electrocuting your tank. A GFCI will detect this current and pop the breaker. It's the combination of the two that protects both you and your fish.

Now, with that said, I do not use a grounding probe. The reason is that I want to feel that tingle to know I have a voltage leak problem. If I were to use the recommended GFCI and grounding probe, my concern is that it will pop at the most inconvenient moment....when I'm on vacation....leaving my tank with no electricity. So I'll stick with the tingle....gosh, I've been zapped enough doing electrical work.....the tingle is nothing!

My recommendation is to do what you feel comfortable doing....nothing or GFCI with probe....whatever floats your boat.
Thanks for this, I wasn't sure if GFCI was needed with the ground probe, so I've had the probe unused..and forgot about it. lol I guess the safest thing would be to have a GFCI for the ground probe that is on a different circuit than the fishtank.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this, I wasn't sure if GFCI was needed with the ground probe, so I've had the probe unused..and forgot about it. lol I guess the safest thing would be to have a GFCI for the ground probe that is on a different circuit than the fishtank.
Why would you do that? It would work correctly, but it's not necessary.

The gfci compares the power leaving the outlet to the power returning. The Gfci doesn't look at the ground so it doesn't matter which circuit it's on. The grounds are all bridged in the house.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t go through 27 pages but @Brew12 how to set up ground probe in a sump? Thank you for priceless post.

Reeflover21526

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hello
i have problem some time i am shocked from the tank
where can i find the ground plugs ?

google ground probe, there are a plenty, i also attached the picture of how it looks like

ground probe.jpg

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two EB832 connected to portable GFCI and then GFCI to the wall.

Do I connect the ground probe to one of outlet on EVB832, or does it have to be connected directly to wall outlet?

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If A GFCI trips and ground probe is plugged into it, does this break the circuit of ground probe going to ground or does the ground probe continue to protect even when GFCI is tripped?

The reason I ask is that I have multiple GFCI’s and want to make sure I still am protected in case the one that the ground probe connects to trips.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If A GFCI trips and ground probe is plugged into it, does this break the circuit of ground probe going to ground or does the ground probe continue to protect even when GFCI is tripped?

The reason I ask is that I have multiple GFCI’s and want to make sure I still am protected in case the one that the ground probe connects to trips.

Ground does not open when the GFCI trips

CamD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but what does it mean? Will the ground probe still works or not if GFCI trip? Yes or no?
Yes, ground probe will still have connection to ground if the GFCI circuit trips. The equipment ground conductor is not switched. (Assuming the outlet in question is grounded. I only add this because I was recently in a much older home where the original 2-prong ungrounded outlets were replaced with GFCI outlets which is an acceptable upgrade in Canada at least and coincidentally aquarium equipment was plugged into one)

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, ground probe will still have connection to ground if the GFCI circuit trips. The equipment ground conductor is not switched. (Assuming the outlet in question is grounded. I only add this because I was recently in a much older home where the original 2-prong ungrounded outlets were replaced with GFCI outlets which is an acceptable upgrade in Canada at least and coincidentally aquarium equipment was plugged into one)
It's acceptable in the US, also, since the GFCI function will still work without the ground. The GFCI receptacles should come with a little sticker you are supposed to put on the outlet that says it is an ungrounded receptacle.
Unfortunately, a ground probe cannot be used with receptacles like this, but they are safer.

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone provide insight on how to install the reef octopus grounding probe? There is no plug on the unit.. just a little metal ring at the end of the cord.

Lostreefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can happen in your mixing station too! My pump for mixing the saltwater in one of my bins must have been compromised. I got a tingle, then when I went back to confirm I got a little more, took that mj out and tossed it. I have a probe in my display, but not my mixing station...

pochaxoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this. I did very recently get a shock from my sump. I couldn't believe it and got shocked again trying to figure out what was happening. Turned out to be a heater of course. I will be buying a couple of these tomorrow to get rid of that worry again.

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently set up a ground probe with a GFCI outlet.

I was measuring ~40AC Volts in the tank. Since nothing tripped when everything got plugged into the GFCI is it safe to assume that this was just induced current in the tank and nothing to be worried about? (With grounding probe it's measuring ~0V)

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently set up a ground probe with a GFCI outlet.

I was measuring ~40AC Volts in the tank. Since nothing tripped when everything got plugged into the GFCI is it safe to assume that this was just induced current in the tank and nothing to be worried about? (With grounding probe it's measuring ~0V)
Yup! That is exactly what it means!

Overfloater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brew,

I have been dealing with slow STN and no polyp extension for the last several months on my acros. Over that last week, the few acros that had polyp extension have now lost all extension and flesh has begun peeling liberally. RTN/STN is rampant. I have never checked for stray voltage but in my desperation, I checked and I am getting 50V of stray current in the tank.

20V comes from my return pump and 8-10v from each heater. This accounts for about 40v total. Both the return pump (Jebao) and heaters (Finnex Titanium) are about 2 years old.

It's odd because if I unplug those items I am left with about 10V. This is with nothing running except lights and MP40s so there should not be any voltage in the tank. If I power off the power strip and plug the pump and heaters in, the voltage drops to less than 1V. This leads me to believe those items are acting as a grounding probe.

I have a GFCI outlet and grounding probe on order. Currently the tank is on a standard grounded outlet.

Do you think this could be what has been causing my SPS issues?

IMG_20200912_184928.jpg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brew,

I have been dealing with slow STN and no polyp extension for the last several months on my acros. Over that last week, the few acros that had polyp extension have now lost all extension and flesh has begun peeling liberally. RTN/STN is rampant. I have never checked for stray voltage but in my desperation, I checked and I am getting 50V of stray current in the tank.

20V comes from my return pump and 8-10v from each heater. This accounts for about 40v total. Both the return pump (Jebao) and heaters (Finnex Titanium) are about 2 years old.

It's odd because if I unplug those items I am left with about 10V. This is with nothing running except lights and MP40s so there should not be any voltage in the tank. If I power off the power strip and plug the pump and heaters in, the voltage drops to less than 1V. This leads me to believe those items are acting as a grounding probe.

I have a GFCI outlet and grounding probe on order. Currently the tank is on a standard grounded outlet.

Do you think this could be what has been causing my SPS issues?

IMG_20200912_184928.jpg
Sorry I missed this earlier!

If it is electrical equipment that is causing it, I doubt it is the voltage or the current. It would be more likely to be contaminants released by the failure.
It sounds like your Finnex heaters are not grounded and therefore not acting like a ground probe. Do they have a 3 prong plug?
MP40's will induce a voltage into an aquarium. To generate electricity, you only need a conductor (sea water) a magnetic field which is what drives the wet side, and relative motion. The magnetic field is constantly moving to get the wet side to turn.
It will be interesting to see what you find when you get the GFCI and ground probe.

Overfloater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like your Finnex heaters are not grounded and therefore not acting like a ground probe. Do they have a 3 prong plug?
It will be interesting to see what you find when you get the GFCI and ground probe.

Brew, the heaters and return pump are only 2 prong. I have attached everything to a plug in GFCI and installed a grounding probe. Stray current now reads 0V. Time will tell if this stray voltage has been a contributing factor to my issues.

Thanks for the help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back