Using Live Rock That's Been in Buckets for 6 weeks

donteventrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently moved and due to an injury decided not to set my 75 gallon saltwater tank back up in the new apartment. I donated the fish and corals to my local fish store and left the 100+ lbs of live rock in 5 gallon uncovered buckets of salt water sitting in my unheated garage for the past 6 weeks. Well, now that I am feeling better, I want to set up my tank again. Question is what do I do with the rock? Is it saveable? Cleanable? Reusable? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s usable. You will certainly have lost some of the life on it, but put it back in a tank with heat and circulation and you will be surprised what pops back up in a few weeks. I would definitely give it several weeks before adding any livestock just to re-stabilize and let the life on the rock get a little head start.

OP
OP
donteventrip

donteventrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really?! That's fantastic! Now just to reiterate - there has been NO circulation/air flow in the buckets; NO heat- Nada. They have been sitting in tank water in 5 gallon buckets without covers for nearly 2 months. I assume that a great percentage of "live" material is now DEAD. But if I can still use the rock and reestablish it - heck yes I will give it a try! Thanks for all the input! :) Dana, Denver CO

OP
OP
donteventrip

donteventrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd give it a good scrub for any algae while keeping it wet and put it in the tank. Bacteria should still be good to go unless it froze.
When you say "give it a good scrub" - what do you suggest? Do I use a wire brush and dish soap? No soap? Bleach? Sorry for my ignorance and thanks again! Dana, Denver CO

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No soap or cleaners or anything - just a physical scrub with something like an old toothbrush. However, I’m not sure that’s necessary, as without any lights over it there is likely no algae so worry about...

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DET
Before scrubbing and prep, if possible can you run an oxidation test on them as they currently sit

We could use that info in a couple big cycling threads

We want to see if bacteria survived the salinity shifting in storage

If possible, use liquid ammonium chloride to bring the buckets and rocks up to 1 ppm free ammonia, only that level

Take pic of test reading

Then test ammonia one last time 24 hours later n post
If possible this sure could be a neat glimpse into what bacteria tolerate or not

I give the bacteria an 70% chance of survival though they don’t like high salinities

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^that.

Use peroxide to clean it. Then Get some flow in to cycle.

It's got to smell horrible at this point. That's ammonia and worse case sulphide fro the bacteria going anerobic.
If it's been cold the decay process has been slowed so that's a good thing.

Wbrian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd pour out 3/4 of the water in each bucket and replace with NSW. Add a power head and heater, or move the buckets to someplace warmer. Let them re-cycle.

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious how this went x did you ever run the test? Get your tank setup?
For the others contributing, what salinity is too high for bacteria? And ifvstoring properly and maybe even adding bacteria.. would it be best to add an occasional food source? Or amino or nitrate & phosphate?
For others curiously just coming accross this,
If you take break or take out rock for any reason.. take the extra minute to plug in & plop a cheap powered & heater in the bucket. And to really be ready for later sit a jug of rodi or distilled water on a lidded bucket beside it hanging over the rock bucket edge with a pinhole for an "iv drip" of fresh water.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me like it will need curing before use. Same as if you got live rock shipped damp to your house, but probably more die off. I wouldnt just plop them in my tank.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 61 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back