Using macroalgae to ship fish?

jmanrow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purely hypothetical but ... What if online fish vendors used a small amount of Chaetomorpha when shipping fish?

Chaeto consumes ammonia + carbon dioxide, releases oxygen ... The only real downside I can think of is if harmful pathogens (parasites, worms, bacteria) hitchhiked their way into the bag water via Chaeto.

;Cyclops
Chaeto, and all other macroalgae and plants in the presence of light.
In the dark they will use oxygen and release CO2.

The Reefing Scotsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across these a while ago. I've never used them but they look like they could be useful. They aren't cheap, so you would hopefully get them returned to you after the fish has arrived. Mind you, I'd rather lose one of these than a nice fish.

DawnfromPa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a seller from EBay send me coral today with carbon in each bag. It was a first for me but very welcome.

Kryssie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is also this (but I've never tried them):
But I know a wholesaler who uses those bags, and pumps pure O2 into the shipping cooler before sealing it shut. They use industrial tape all around the cooler lid to seal in the oxygen.
My LFS puts pure oxygen in the bags when I buy fish so they don’t have an issue during the hour long trip home from Austin. I’ve been getting fish there for 2 years now. So far so good.

Ikserk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would hardly be economical but would a battery powered LED light in the box be enough to trigger photosynthesis in the macroalgae?

Not to mention the fact that the light in the box would not be good for the fish I believe. Dark would be better, right?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS puts pure oxygen in the bags when I buy fish so they don’t have an issue during the hour long trip home from Austin. I’ve been getting fish there for 2 years now. So far so good.

I do the same; however sometimes Fedex loses the box for 2-3 days. I was just trying to brainstorm to come up with a way to prolong the fish's life when delays occur.

Not to mention the fact that the light in the box would not be good for the fish I believe. Dark would be better, right?

I actually use night lights in my fish holding areas. Not being in complete darkness has cut down on jumping which sometimes leads to spinal injuries in wrasses.

FishGuru281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small squares of filter floss work well in the bags. Ive also had a lot of success with Prodibio SafeTravel.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back