Using 'New' Reborn

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's been a lot of consternation about the recent reborn product not looking the same as the older. The important thing, of course, is how well it works. Plenty of threads with people complaining that it doesn't look the same .... how about one with hands on experience with how it works. I'll start .....

I run a very large CaRx which requires replenishment about every six months when it reaches 50% fill. I added about 15 lbs. of the 'new' reborn in early November, so about a month. There are some bits of silica and some small rocks, but I did not attempt to remove them. Owing to the smaller size, I was able to get a bit more media into the chamber than before. Chamber is upflow, so shouldn't be a problem. Good news is that the 'new' stuff seems equally effective as a CaRx media. Melt is about the same and it has kept my alkalinity and calcium right where the older media did.

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
There's been a lot of consternation about the recent reborn product not looking the same as the older. The important thing, of course, is how well it works. Plenty of threads with people complaining that it doesn't look the same .... how abut one with hands on experience with how it works. I'll start .....

I run a very large CaRx which requires replenishment about every six months when it reaches 50% fill. I added about 15 lbs. of the 'new' reborn in early November, so about a month. There are some bits of silica and some small rocks, but I did not attempt to remove them. Owing to the smaller size, I was able to get a bit more media into the chamber than before. Chamber is upflow, so shouldn't be a problem. Good news is that the 'new' stuff seems equally effective as a CaRx media. Melt is about the same and it has kept my alkalinity and calcium right where the older media did.

You are right I've not seen anyone report on results. Thanks (although I do not use a reactor :) ) - others should appreciate it!

Hope all is well.

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did yours look like this? This has a bunch of shells and other stuff. I would guess it will cause a phosphate bump too.

40154234-4A93-4F4B-84BD-243C2456AB1A.jpeg

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say. Take out a few handfuls, wash it off and take a new picture. I saw some shells in my boxes, but not too many.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say. Take out a few handfuls, wash it off and take a new picture. I saw some shells in my boxes, but not too many.

Does still melt at a higher ph melting point, than other cal reactor media's?

Thanks!

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does still melt at a higher ph melting point, than other cal reactor media's?

Thanks!

I’m still running my CaRx at around 6.7/6.8. As far as I can see the differences between old and new are the size of the pieces and a lot more ‘rubble’. Though smaller, most are still old coral skeletons so no reason I can think of to expect the pH set point to need changing.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back