Using old tank water in new tank

AlexVic

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2024
Messages
156
Reaction score
37
Location
New York
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I recently got a new 15 gallon tank and I want to know if I can use the old tank water from my established 40 gallon. Is there any problem regarding using old water?
 
If you're thinking of use the water as a way to jumpstart there isn't much bio-load in the water.
 
why? just use new water. No benefit to using old water.
It’s because I have to do a 10 gallon water change for my 40 gallon and I have to make 15 gallons of new water. I just don’t want to make 25 gallons of water in one sitting.
 
I'd still just use new water.

Why are you doing a water change? The answer to that question should lead you to my point.
 
I'd still just use new water.

Why are you doing a water change? The answer to that question should lead you to my point.
I’ve heard people mix salt in there fish tank when its new. Do you think it’s a good idea?
 
I’ve heard people mix salt in there fish tank when its new. Do you think it’s a good idea?
if it's the first thing you do, I don't see any issue with that approach. You just don't want to add substrate first as mixing the salt will lead to a mess.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new