Using Rubbermaid Brute for water storing

Heart of Dixie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched over from two blue, plastic barrels that were leaching as verified by a handheld TDS meter to two Brute trashcans from HD. I made the change last week and have been monitoring them everyday. So far there has only been an increase of .05.

OP
OP
S

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great to hear. So the one I linked is fine then I suppose. I'll go purchase them today.

Aero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I use one as well no issues with these leeching, I'd say they are reef safe for storing water

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used those gray brutes for years. No problems. NSF certified. They are perfect.

Tman007

Super Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a newbie reefer, and just purchased my first Brute 32g can like the one mentioned by the OP, except I got the blue version. I saw some comments online that said that only certain colors (like white, gray, yellow) were considered food safe, but I just checked the markings on the bottom of my blue Brute and I see the wine glass & fork symbol, which is the international symbol that something is food safe!

Regarding the anecdotal comments about some Brute colors being not food safe, I can only speculate that maybe some of the older cans were a different formulation. Maybe someone here knows for sure.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back