Using Sand from Used Tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter VPOOL13
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

VPOOL13

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 20, 2012
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
Northwest Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I just picked up my coworkers 75 gallon tank that I bought off him for Christmas. He had it running but wasn't givin any TLC. Can I use the sand that was in there. There is a lot of sand and new live sand can be expensive. So should I use it or just pitch it and buy new sand? Or is there a way that I can recycle it?


PS. How do you clean Live rock. Its nice rock just seems to have squishy spots on it. I think that's sponge but can't tell.
 
I would go with new dry sand and seed it with a cup or two from the existing tank. As for the rock, it depends on what type of life is on it as to what I would do to treat it.
 
It seems as if its sponge that is on the rock. And for the sand I don't see any creatures but I know there has to be some that I can't see. I was moving the sand and didn't see anything big.
 
Get new sand, it's cheap enough. You don't need "live sand". Like the other person said, you just need to seed it with with some existing sand and it becomes live. How do you think vendors make their sand live. My suggestion would be reef flakes by Tropic Eden. But if you don't want to, you would have to wash the sand with lots and lots of water to rid it of the trapped waste and detritus.

As far as the rock goes, the sponges are great little filter feeders. If the rock looks decent and does not have algae or pest (aiptasia and manjo anemones) I would reuse it as is. And that is as long as it is still in water.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new