Using Seachem Prime

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I know people will always tell me RODI water is the best water to use in our saltwater aquariums. But right now I’m in a bit of a pickle. My country’s undergoing lockdown due to COVID-19 and I do not have an RODI machine. I’m running low on my RODI water supply (and saltwater). So is it safe to use tap water dosed with Seachem Prime?(or any anti chlorine in this case) cause I can atleast order Seachem online whereas I can’t order RODI water online. Also I’m on a tight budget so buying an RODI system isn’t a choice for me. Thanks in advance

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what kind of water you have but I have well water and don't use a RODI. If your using a city tap I suppose you'd be screwed though. I use prime when my ammonia gets wild and it doesn't hurt anything, when used correctly. I'm almost positive it detoxifies tap water but I've never used it for that reason so I'm not 100% sure. Maybe someone else can chime in.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I know people will always tell me RODI water is the best water to use in our saltwater aquariums. But right now I’m in a bit of a pickle. My country’s undergoing lockdown due to COVID-19 and I do not have an RODI machine. I’m running low on my RODI water supply (and saltwater). So is it safe to use tap water dosed with Seachem Prime?(or any anti chlorine in this case) cause I can atleast order Seachem online whereas I can’t order RODI water online. Also I’m on a tight budget so buying an RODI system isn’t a choice for me. Thanks in advance
You can, I used it for about a year with tap water. I ended up with a crap ton of algea because of the water not primes fault. I would skip water changes and save rodi for top off.
If the restrictions don't ease and need water I would revisit prime and tap water.
Wish you all the best.

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can, I used it for about a year with tap water. I ended up with a crap ton of algea because of the water not primes fault. I would skip water changes and save rodi for top off.
If the restrictions don't ease and need water I would revisit prime and tap water.
Wish you all the best.
What do you mean by skipping water changes? Dont you do water changes at all for the whole year and just topped off with RODI fresh water?

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what kind of water you have but I have well water and don't use a RODI. If your using a city tap I suppose you'd be screwed though. I use prime when my ammonia gets wild and it doesn't hurt anything, when used correctly. I'm almost positive it detoxifies tap water but I've never used it for that reason so I'm not 100% sure. Maybe someone else can chime in.
What do you mean by “screwed”? Is it “screwed” enough to kill live stock or do I just have to deal with algae etc?

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by “screwed”? Is it “screwed” enough to kill live stock or do I just have to deal with algae etc?
You'd just be dealing with algae for the most part.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by skipping water changes? Dont you do water changes at all for the whole year and just topped off with RODI fresh water?
You said you just went on lock down so skip a few water changes hopefully in a month things will be better. If you can get to a store distilled water would be good.

Some individuals will only do water changes a few times a year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said you just went on lock down so skip a few water changes hopefully in a month things will be better. If you can get to a store distilled water would be good.

So will only do water changes a few times a year.
Oh distilled water is also considered good? Never thought of using distilled though. Any side effects on using distilled?

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use distilled. I think it’s popular for some people. It’s not as good as rodi of course but it’s better than tap water.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any bottled water is better than tap water, even if it is not distilled, but tap water is not a disaster if you are in a bind. You might have high levels of minerals, etc. in tap water, but you know bottled water does not. Don't worry too much, just don't use it frequently. Years ago I kept a fish only saltwater tank and only ever used tap water. Sorry you're stuck in lockdown. Done that and I know how much it sucks. Don't run out of toilet paper! LOL

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is distilled water not as good as rodi water? I am currently using distilled
It’s just not going to be 0 TDS.
Why is distilled water not as good as rodi water? I am currently using distilled
I don’t remember exactly what but I remember reading of a few things that still can remain in distilled water that have a lower boiling point than water. And depending on how it was distilled they may have used copper coils etc. in the process. I think it’s mostly a very safe bet and good water to use. Making rodi just takes out those potential variables. I personally wouldn’t tell anybody not to use distilled water though.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back