Using Setosa to grow Cyphastrea

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pic says it all :)

I will be taking pictures of its progression over the body of setosa. Already it has started to take over.
setosa_Host.JPG

Sam

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Their is a faster way to remove the setosa. Only applies if you can remove the rock. But what has worked for me is to use a dremell to slice into the coral, then place a flat head screw driver in the slice, then twist and the encrusting Coral will pop off.

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the opposite issue, cyphastrea is taking over in areas! One giant piece is encrusted on my glass, looks cool and i will let it go. the other is in the middle right center of my tank and it is encrusting all over my rocks getting close to some acros that are near. I'll post pics if i can get some.

OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the opposite issue, cyphastrea is taking over in areas! One giant piece is encrusted on my glass, looks cool and i will let it go. the other is in the middle right center of my tank and it is encrusting all over my rocks getting close to some acros that are near. I'll post pics if i can get some.

This is another reason why I want the cyphastrea on a structure such that if I need to break and remove, its easy. Cyphastrea is aggressive but looks great but instead of growing on live rock, it will be much better to grow on a body structure of setosa, which has a soft coral structure.

Sam.

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20171110_090729_zpsddixnee5.jpg

IMG_20171110_090820_zpsi6sqtuvf.jpg

10-12 inches encrusted on the glass, kinda cool, but going to be an issue to clean off one day...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following!

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to follow this as well, very interesting to see. Thanks for documenting it. I love my Setosas. I have 6 in my tank. I would like to get a cyphastrea as well, however, mine will be on its own rock.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyphastrea will kill anything! I regretted adding some to my tank. Luckily I've isolated it too one giant rock now and just let it sit there without touching anything.

That being said, fun experiment. The cyphastrea will no doubt eliminate it easily as setosa loses to everything in my tank.

OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cyphastrea will kill anything! I regretted adding some to my tank. Luckily I've isolated it too one giant rock now and just let it sit there without touching anything.

That being said, fun experiment. The cyphastrea will no doubt eliminate it easily as setosa loses to everything in my tank.

That is true. This setosa is also isolated on a rock. So if cyphastrea becomes too aggressive, I can just break it right off the setosa body, which is always soft and easy to do.

Sam

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's going yo be so rad. I want to cover a tonga branch in different ones for each branch

OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Abandoned it mid way. It was growing very well over setosa surface but could not afford to have a large space in tank for this purpose...tossed it and saved the pieces of the Cyphastrea.

Need to add updated pics of the tank on my build thread...

Sam

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s works well with the Skelys of a chosen coral then fragment is simple as ever!!!! Then u can add new corals for it 2 take over. Turns an encrusting into a branching and is really fun 2 watch it as it’s covering it fast vs growing like a branching!! I’m sorry it’s so bad but I’m treating fluco for both bubble and bry. So with me luck and here’s my best. I’d get better pics but the glass is bad and u get the idea. It works well

67AA1193-DEC5-45DB-A8EC-73747E64A288.jpeg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back