OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice, I did not know they are still in business, glad to see they are still arround,

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have absolutely no use for one of these right now, but that does not stop me from being entirely intrigued at the possibility of building one of these. I'm saving this thread for later because whenever I get a bigger tank, this is what I want to do. I saw some one on here had made a 3D printed mounting option with PVC pipe to hide the wires and hold the thruster in place. It would be cool to add an actuator to the top and make the PVC turn. There is a European company that sells this already but can't rember the name. Pair that with the thruster and a little controlability, you've got some perfect results.

Edit: Here is the site https://www.seawatersolutions.de/en/collections/ocean-motion/products/1-x-oceanmotion-dreheinheit-1
Agreed thanks for the link I had the same idea

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its an interesting concept... looking at the video it looks so simple.. was hoping others would chime in. :)

1697035153496.png
It's a configuration of an axial flux drive motor.

They definitely have their advantages and disadvantages, but for the case of driving an impeller in a reef tank, I doubt most of the negatives would be relevant. Although as mentioned earlier in this thread, current is a bit overkill, and that translates to heat absorption into the water. Keep in mind, these are rated for moving vessels, hence the ratings are in force and not gph.

Depending on the permanant magnet they used, this technology has the same risk as the ecotech wetsides. If saltwater makes it through to the neodymium, then it's game over.

If they used ferrite magnets then there's no concern with leaching heavy metals into your tank. From a engineering perspective the trade off between neodymium and ferrite would be flux density.

I haven't read too much on axial flux drive motors but the configuration in which you drive the armature, requires a bit more energy to create torque which makes me lean towards neodymium... and probably reinforces the price of that particular motor.

Another concern is how they encased the motor windings in the stator, again they have to be sealed enough to withstand years of soaking in our organic soup we call saltwater.

Also mentioned earlier in this thread, if you leach heavy metals into an open body of water, no big deal. But in an enclosed ecosystem... pretty big deal.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a configuration of an axial flux drive motor.

They definitely have their advantages and disadvantages, but for the case of driving an impeller in a reef tank, I doubt most of the negatives would be relevant. Although as mentioned earlier in this thread, current is a bit overkill, and that translates to heat absorption into the water. Keep in mind, these are rated for moving vessels, hence the ratings are in force and not gph.

Depending on the permanant magnet they used, this technology has the same risk as the ecotech wetsides. If saltwater makes it through to the neodymium, then it's game over.

If they used ferrite magnets then there's no concern with leaching heavy metals into your tank. From a engineering perspective the trade off between neodymium and ferrite would be flux density.

I haven't read too much on axial flux drive motors but the configuration in which you drive the armature, requires a bit more energy to create torque which makes me lean towards neodymium... and probably reinforces the price of that particular motor.

Another concern is how they encased the motor windings in the stator, again they have to be sealed enough to withstand years of soaking in our organic soup we call saltwater.

Also mentioned earlier in this thread, if you leach heavy metals into an open body of water, no big deal. But in an enclosed ecosystem... pretty big deal.

I may be completely wrong and don't take this as an argument. I could have sworn ferrite magnets rust vs the neodymium were rare earth and reef safe? I know some makers have exposed magnets that do not corrode.

In the video from the rim drive manufacturer, they show assembly/disassembly. There appears to be 2 round magnets, similar to fat 0 rings. In the video those appear to be flexible. Possibly very thin and incased in a rubber or plastic. I feel the heat transfer has to be less then the 14 pumps I have running for flow.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit I checked Google and was mixed up on what magnet rust. I always think of ferrite with welding in my thoughts.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hydromea website , manufacturer of the 50 states over 290 days of testing in saltwater. I'd assume if the magnets were going to rust they would have by then. Especially after seeing their sand testing.

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember Blue Robotics - did test where they sent the thrusters in Ocean via navigator module and solar board from California to Hawaii and it was successful, not sure how long it took for thrusters to make it,

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in email contact with hydromea the manufacturer of the diskdrive50 and 80.

In talking with them every metal part is incapsulated in plastic, to include the magnet.

They understood the risk of contamination via leeching in our closed systems and believe that they will handle the abuse we will be putting on the thrusters. My plan is to have them switch forward to reverse on a cycle. They have simulated over a million hrs use if memory serves. I will screen shot the emails and post them later today. Hopefully this info helps everyone else following this thread

I'm going to order 2 and give them a try .

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in email contact with hydromea the manufacturer of the diskdrive50 and 80.

In talking with them every metal part is incapsulated in plastic, to include the magnet.

They understood the risk of contamination via leeching in our closed systems and believe that they will handle the abuse we will be putting on the thrusters. My plan is to have them switch forward to reverse on a cycle. They have simulated over a million hrs use if memory serves. I will screen shot the emails and post them later today. Hopefully this info helps everyone else following this thread

I'm going to order 2 and give them a try .
what model and what price are you getting these at for 2 pcs?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what model and what price are you getting these at for 2 pcs?
I'm looking at the disk50 model and I believe the retail price is 499.00 each.

These are priced higher then some other thrusters, but the thin design and simplicity of maintenance makes it worth trying for me. After printing fish guards, I believe these will still be under 3 inches thick and have both forward and reverse flow capabilities

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at the disk50 model and I believe the retail price is 499.00 each.

These are priced higher then some other thrusters, but the thin design and simplicity of maintenance makes it worth trying for me. After printing fish guards, I believe these will still be under 3 inches thick and have both forward and reverse flow capabilities
Kepp us posted buddy, I am curious to see your build, I just got 6 more thrusters from Apisqueen, same dimensions of T200

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kepp us posted buddy, I am curious to see your build, I just got 6 more thrusters from Apisqueen, same dimensions of T200
How long have you been running those for? I have those on my list of possible thrusters to use as well. My 2 displays are 8x30x24" 320g and 8x3×2 400g. Even at 500.00 each running 4 which appears to be overkill will be 2 5k max. 4 mp60 would be close to 4k and way less flow .

It appears all the thrusters in the m200 size put out the flow that it would require 4 mp60 to match a single thruster

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you been running those for? I have those on my list of possible thrusters to use as well. My 2 displays are 8x30x24" 320g and 8x3×2 400g. Even at 500.00 each running 4 which appears to be overkill will be 2 5k max. 4 mp60 would be close to 4k and way less flow .

It appears all the thrusters in the m200 size put out the flow that it would require 4 mp60 to match a single thruster
T200 are running for past 8 months and t500 are running for 3 months and Apisqueen build is in progress as I am waiting for ESC which are shipped already just waiting for them to be delivered

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

one of my t500 running at 12v will blow 4 or 6 mp60 when it comes to flow, my friend has 7 foot tank and he has 4 mp60 in his tank and 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom and at the end of the tank he has detritus settling because flow is is not reaching, but I am building 2 t200 for him and it will have same surge mode on his as well, mp60 don't even come close to 1 of these thrusters,

Johno868

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting ... thinking about 1 t200 for my 6ft peninsula build..
reason being we all know the main challenge with peninsula style aquariums is flow from the peninsula side .. 1 of these on that side can probably make all the problems go away for my 6ft.... i really dont want to put anything on that side

i wonder if it will make sense to put it on the overflow side low in the tank and generate enough flow so that i need nothing on the other side to have that perfect peninsula look ..
thoughts ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back