OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting ... thinking about 1 t200 for my 6ft peninsula build..
reason being we all know the main challenge with peninsula style aquariums is flow from the peninsula side .. 1 of these on that side can probably make all the problems go away for my 6ft.... i really dont want to put anything on that side

i wonder if it will make sense to put it on the overflow side low in the tank and generate enough flow so that i need nothing on the other side to have that perfect peninsula look ..
thoughts ?
you can do that, I am not sure if you have sand in your tank, I have deep sand bed and I had to mount my t500 in the middle from top and bottom and I have them programmed to reef crest mode, close to bottom was causing sand stirred up and sand was getting sucked towards the thruster causing sand dunes,

alphapapa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second that, but folks there are plenty of gallons per hr these things can push, here is are some of the pictures of my set up, sorry for the picuture of the truster in blue, actinic lights were on, look at the suface of the sump, neat and clean, this thruster keeps everything suspended for skimmer to pull it out,
Coming in midstream on this thread - looking to use the variable speed output from the Apex to push my wavemakers. Is that an Arduino controlling 2 ESCs? Is taking the variable output into the analog input and creating PWM for the ESC? If so, would you be willing to share what code you have or point me in the right direction?

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming in midstream on this thread - looking to use the variable speed output from the Apex to push my wavemakers. Is that an Arduino controlling 2 ESCs? Is taking the variable output into the analog input and creating PWM for the ESC? If so, would you be willing to share what code you have or point me in the right direction?
you are 100% correct sir, Arduino is controlling the 2 ESC variable output into analog input and creating PWM for ESC. I changed the code last night and now ramp up and ramp down is random and smoother, if am still trying to add code to this code to make thrusters run backwards to have backflow every once in a while. I added the code last night for reverse thrust, but I don't see this working but test of the code for ramp up and down working beautifully, if you are able to do, please do let me know. copy paste the code in Arduino Uno Sketch

Sketch for Arduino Uno -

#include <Servo.h>

const int servoPin1 = 9;
const int servoPin2 = 10;
const int potentiometerPin = A0;
Servo servo1;
Servo servo2;

void setup() {
servo1.attach(servoPin1);
servo2.attach(servoPin2);
}

void loop() {
int potVal = analogRead(potentiometerPin);

int pwmVal = map(potVal, 0, 1023, 1100, 1900);
int maxStep = (pwmVal - 1100) * 0.9; // 90% of the range
int step = 8; // Fixed step size for smooth motion

// Ramp up
for (int i = 1100; i <= pwmVal - maxStep; i += step) {
servo1.writeMicroseconds(i);
servo2.writeMicroseconds(i);
delay(150);
}

// Reverse
for (int i = pwmVal - maxStep; i >= 1100; i -= step) {
delay(150);
}

// Ramp down
for (int i = pwmVal; i >= 1100; i -= step) {
delay(150);
}
}

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to make the change to the code and added reverse option, after random flow and very smooth ramp up and down it turns reverse slowly for seconds and then ramp up and down again,

#include <Servo.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
const int servoPin1 = 9;
const int servoPin2 = 10;
const int potentiometerPin = A0;
Servo servo1;
Servo servo2;
void setup() {
servo1.attach(servoPin1);
servo2.attach(servoPin2);
randomSeed(analogRead(0));
}
void loop() {
int potVal = analogRead(potentiometerPin);
int pwmVal = map(potVal, 0, 1023, 1100, 1900);
// Determine the random step size for ramping, not more than 30% of the range
int maxStep = (1900 - pwmVal) * 0.3;
int step = random(1, maxStep + 1);
// Ramp up
for (int i = pwmVal; i <= 1900; i += step) {
delay(150);
}
// Ramp down
for (int i = 1900; i >= pwmVal; i -= step) {
delay(150);
}
// Random step size for reverse ramping, not more than 10% of the range
int reverseSpeedLimit = 0.15; // Adjust this value to control the maximum reverse speed
int maxStepReverse = (pwmVal - 1100) * reverseSpeedLimit;
int stepReverse = random(1, maxStepReverse + 1);
// Ramp up in reverse
for (int i = pwmVal; i >= 1100; i -= stepReverse) {
delay(200);
}
}

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second that, but folks there are plenty of gallons per hr these things can push, here is are some of the pictures of my set up, sorry for the picuture of the truster in blue, actinic lights were on, look at the suface of the sump, neat and clean, this thruster keeps everything suspended for skimmer to pull it out,
This is awesome. Would you be willing to post a parts list?

Would something like the hydros wave engine work to control the thrusters? Or perhaps the Apex Variable Speed pump controller?

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if Hydros wave engine can work to control this, but you will need thrusters T200 model or similar from underwaterthrusters dot com and you will need ESC 30a and power supply adjustable voltage from Amazon, 2 potentiometers and Ardunio Uno for controlling the speed. 3d Printed cage to be able to mount and secure with magnets, you will have to be creative but sky is the limit, this should be enough to get you going,

Seneca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I presently have my 2 T200s on diy sea sweep arms with about a 5 minute arc. It ramps up to 80% power over 5 seconds and ramps back down over 5 seconds. It does this for 10 minutes then engages reverse thrust for 10 minutes, same ramp but maxes out at 30% power (its too close to the side for higher than 30% reverse thrust).

 One of these at each end of a 10 foot 750 gallon tank is enough for almost all the flow. They are very slightly out of sync with eachother, every now and then the whole tank becomes a clockwise or counter clockwise whirlpool. These are good wavemakers. Putting them on DIY seasweeps drastically increases their ability to provide flow for the whole tank, but the sea sweep arm needs to be very strong (mine are 1.5 inch pvc with thin stainless masonry joint rebar inside and filled with epoxy). The motor is a heavy duty servo that drives an axle fixed in a vertical orientation with bearings.

IMG_20231130_185605.jpg IMG_20231130_185926.jpg

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about to replace 2 mp60 wet sides, for the third time in 12 months. I think I'm going to hold off on that for now, in the hopes of getting a thruster instead. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about to replace 2 mp60 wet sides, for the third time in 12 months. I think I'm going to hold off on that for now, in the hopes of getting a thruster instead. Thank you so much for sharing this.
That's where I am as well for my 2 8ft displays. I believe the power savings as well as pump cost will make these a wise decision for my applications

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's where I am as well for my 2 8ft displays. I believe the power savings as well as pump cost will make these a wise decision for my applications
Do you have a game plan in place? I still need to figure out what I need to get this done. I would love to have them ramp up and down, but I'm not a programmer.

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a game plan in place? I still need to figure out what I need to get this done. I would love to have them ramp up and down, but I'm not a programmer.
ramping up and down can be done via uploading the sketch to Arduino-Uno and it will ramp the thrusters up and down randomly and you can control the speed of the thrusters by controlling the voltage feet to thrusters, 12 to 36v, plenty low and plenty powerful

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ramping up and down can be done via uploading the sketch to Arduino-Uno and it will ramp the thrusters up and down randomly and you can control the speed of the thrusters by controlling the voltage feet to thrusters, 12 to 36v, plenty low and plenty powerful
I'm already ordering parts. I ordered the covers and the mount from a 3d printer; I know; I'm just waiting for them to come in. All my MP60 wetsides are now broken, I don't under stand why people love them so much. They have been nothing but problems for me. I also have been working on the programming for the Arduino and looking into power supply. I'm also looking for a way to make a mount out of titanium.

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm already ordering parts. I ordered the covers and the mount from a 3d printer; I know; I'm just waiting for them to come in. All my MP60 wetsides are now broken, I don't under stand why people love them so much. They have been nothing but problems for me. I also have been working on the programming for the Arduino and looking into power supply. I'm also looking for a way to make a mount out of titanium.
please share the pictures of your build, love new ideas and thinking out of the box. I am not able to find good brackets for these thrusters, if someone has an ideal on how to mount these will be awesome, however I have been experimenting as well and I found out and Jebao Rw20 wave maker brackets fit perfectly on these thrusters that will slow to move the thruster direction up or down, any one has 3d file for jebao brackets?

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm already ordering parts. I ordered the covers and the mount from a 3d printer; I know; I'm just waiting for them to come in. All my MP60 wetsides are now broken, I don't under stand why people love them so much. They have been nothing but problems for me. I also have been working on the programming for the Arduino and looking into power supply. I'm also looking for a way to make a mount out of titanium.I
I have 8 mp60 sitting on shelf due to wet side problems and tired to paying 150 each time so I decided to go in this direction

Reef-Engineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you all may already know this but I confirmed that on the T200 and T500 all stainless steel parts are 316 and not 304, so it is best for our purposes (more corrosion resistance).

I am going to buy a T200 and start playing with it and mounting options. Maybe mount low and point up at a 30 degree angle across front glass and another from the opposite corner along the back glass or something.

I feel much better about playing with these than about dropping $2.5K on a ECM63 (though I have owned one of them and they are awesome)

Reef-Engineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, holy moses some of these take a lot of current, the Hydromea Diskdrive 50, which looks awesome, at 12V draws 15A. Sheesh! That means one powerhead... per breaker in your house. Brutal. I think the T200 is more less power hungry (but rats the diskdrive looks so cool).

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious if there are any smaller models out there? I have a 5ft tank and even just one of these would be overkill I think. I'm getting really sick of buying powerheads over and over and want a more permanent solution.

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are smaller version available but will have to search on which is reliable, smallest version Blue Robotics make is T200 which is similar size to MP40 and smaller than MP60, you can dial the power down to control the thrust,

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back