Using two different fixtures on tank?

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, this might be an odd question but what the heck .... I'm sure theres been stranger 'gypsy rigs' out there to save money!

I'm figuring out the lighting for my tank upgrade - 300 gallon 72 X 36 x 27 (mixed reef w/dsb). I was initially going to get an ati 10 bulb powermodule but I'm just having a real hard time with the thought of missing the metal halide shimmer. I have two tanks now, one with a mh/pc fixture and one with a 6 bulb ati sunpower. I've been very happy with the sunpower ..... except for the fact that it just doesn't give the tank the same 'life' without the shimmer.....

I was trying to avoid the whole diy thing with the lighting - for convenience and the fact that I'm just not the best with it either! Finding a fixture that will cover the 36" width well and combine the halide and t5, however, has proven tough. I figure a Giesemann or Sfiligoi would do it, but the prices are really putting me off ...... I really think the Stealth would be an awesome fixture but just can't quite pull the trigger.

So, an idea came to me today that I could combine the fixture that I currently have on my 180 .... which is an outer orbit hqi with 3 150w and 4 pc ...... with a 6 bulb ati sunpower. What if I left the outer orbit on the front of the tank and placed the sunpower behind it? That should give me plenty of coverage and still maintain the shimmer ..... and save a whole lot of money.

Am I way off in thinking that it might work? I know that the outer orbits aren't top of the line fixtures but it has done very well for me on my current 180 gallon mixed reef. I have great color and growth and no problem with sps ..... and even have a large clam and an lta on the bottom that are thriving.

Am I being penny wise dollar foolish. ..... is this just a bad idea? Any comments or other lighting suggestion are welcomed!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back