OP
riosouza

riosouza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are few tips that will help to place the hat on the urchin.

Some hats will tend to float a little, due to hollow areas and shape. Most of the hats have a hole on top to prevent any bubble from staying trapped.
Place the hat under water and shake it for few seconds while rotating to get the bubbles out as much as I can.
Then, gently place the hat over the urchin just enough to touch and hold it for about 10-15 seconds until the urchin grabs it.
Please be gentle, and make sure you don't crush or break any spines. Avoid pushing the urchin with the ha, also avoid moving the urchin before trying to place the hat on.
It seem that anything that make the urchin feel stressed or threatened will make it difficult to get it to grad the hat for the first time.
Once the urchin gets used to the hat, it will be easier.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mine today, so excited! Thanks Wilson!

Snapchat-974772357.jpg

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize this is a little bit of an old thread. Just thought I would through my 2 cents in. But I have seen urchins in absolute darkness still cover themselves. Not to be too crude, but what they are covering is their butt hole. And it's their only real weakness that they are covering from predation. Which is probably why their longer spined cousins do not "cover" them.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize this is a little bit of an old thread. Just thought I would through my 2 cents in. But I have seen urchins in absolute darkness still cover themselves. Not to be too crude, but what they are covering is their butt hole. And it's their only real weakness that they are covering from predation. Which is probably why their longer spined cousins do not "cover" them.

I love reading sentences that start with "Not to be crude..." always a gem awaiting.

This is amazing!

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.... urchin hats... i honestly thought this was a joke but 4 pages later im still amazed. I love reefers... always coming up with crazy awesome ideas. My hats off to you @riosouza ;) pun intended

Sally Oliver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I just want to share my little a little discovery with you guys.
After seen my sea urchins carrying snail shells, rocks on their back I decide to read more about it.
Studies reviewed the possible reasons would be to protect themselves against predators and/or full-spectrum light source, mainly against UV rays.
Then I decided to do a quick design for a 3d printed hat, and for my surprise they absolutely love it.
Since I replace the rocks and shells from their back with the hats, they never let it go, and I was astonished to see they moving the hats towards the light source. Which leads me to the conclusion they certainly use it against excessive UV rays.

urchin_15.JPG urchin_1.jpg urchin_12.jpg urchin_13.jpg

Sally Oliver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you ship to the uk please? and if so, how can I give you my details without other members seeing them, many thanks

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent a PM... please respond.... send help.... Urchin has wandered into the Xenia forest ripped them from the rock.... says he wants new hairstyle.... doesn't care about the laws against deforestation....

101762390_10219523471310657_8283644952110432256_o.jpg
Don't worry, he's just planting the xenia all over the tank for you. UP WITH TREES

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend I was allowed by the boss (wife) to spend few hours working on the design of a hat or two.
My sea urchin grabbed it, but since the bottom of the hats are not a full arched shape, it does not fit perfectly.
The cowboy hat has quite a large area in comparison to the small contact area for the sea urchin to hold on to it. With the water flow and rocks, the hat will come loose after awhile. If you fit the entire sea urchin in the hat and its brim will be way too big to be carried around. I will make some changes and test them before I will make them available.

vikin helmet.JPG 86281904_10221270261371333_6069771069743431680_n.jpg 86471899_10221270260051300_4952270199081402368_n.jpg 86497965_10221270259571288_9135829908893728768_n.jpg
Best hats ever

testytest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I just want to share my little a little discovery with you guys.
After seen my sea urchins carrying snail shells, rocks on their back I decide to read more about it.
Studies reviewed the possible reasons would be to protect themselves against predators and/or full-spectrum light source, mainly against UV rays.
Then I decided to do a quick design for a 3d printed hat, and for my surprise they absolutely love it.
Since I replace the rocks and shells from their back with the hats, they never let it go, and I was astonished to see they moving the hats towards the light source. Which leads me to the conclusion they certainly use it against excessive UV rays.

Are you posting the files so we can print them ourselves?

OP
OP
riosouza

riosouza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I apologize for being away for so long.
My life's schedule can get very crazy.
If anyone else is interested in buying some more hats, to make things easier I have them listed on eBay.
Here is the link:

Last edited:

Limitsunlimited

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG, you guys really carried it on.
I'm very sorry for being away.
I finally got my printer hot end replaced.
I current have 5 models that I can print to you guys in two different sizes 35mm and 50mm.
After few experiments, I found out that the urchins prefer some specific shapes.
Would $6.99 for large size and $5.99 a $3.50 shipping fair to everyone?

Tall Hat
Viking
Cowboy
Vietnamese
Platter Lid (their favorite)

Tall hat_1.jpg Viking hat_1.jpg cowboy hat_2.jpg cowboy hat.jpg The plater lid.JPG
Hello

I'd be interested in purchasing a few of these.

How can I get in touch with you?

Many thanks

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back