Uv lighting from Amazon, Good or Bad

AdamsAquarium

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 17, 2013
Messages
7
Reaction score
2
Location
Tampa, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are many discussions about needing uv lights in the 385nm range. And manufacturers dont put many UV bulbs in the lights because they are expensive, or so I read.
I saw these on Amazon and said for the price, what the heck!
Any!! Input on the fact that I mihht burn my corals or are these good to try would help me tremendously.

IMG_0843.png
 
I decided to add a little bit more of that lower UV and violet spectrum that was missing from my AI Prime lights. I went the T5 route. I added two blue Plus bulbs and two true actinic bulbs. The actinic bulbs provide some of that ultraviolet spectrum. The jury is still out on whether or not it makes an impact on Coral coloration and growth. Corals do create proteins in their skin to protect from ultraviolet radiation, those proteins are thought to provide some deeper Rich colors in some corals. I'd be very careful you might burn up your corals. The visible light from those UVS will be next to nothing.
 
I decided to add a little bit more of that lower UV and violet spectrum that was missing from my AI Prime lights. I went the T5 route. I added two blue Plus bulbs and two true actinic bulbs. The actinic bulbs provide some of that ultraviolet spectrum. The jury is still out on whether or not it makes an impact on Coral coloration and growth. Corals do create proteins in their skin to protect from ultraviolet radiation, those proteins are thought to provide some deeper Rich colors in some corals. I'd be very careful you might burn up your corals. The visible light from those UVS will be next to nothing.
Thank you for your input, just needed someone else to say better safe than sorry!
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new