UV off now Ich

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers!

Last Wednesday I turned my UV off when treating Cayno algae.

I cleaned out UV to find it melting plastic inside its tube. I no longer have the UV hooked up.

I installed my UV after an Ich outbreak about 6 months ago. After the UV was installed I no longer had issues with Ich.

Now after it’s been off for 11 days my Flasher Wasse has been acting funny. Now is full of Ich...

No fish have been added in the past 4 months.

This says UV keeps Ich away... it’s proof to me. I had it around 150gph in my sump running.

How treating tank with medicated food and carbon in my sump. Dr. Gs. I can not catch my fish.

Thought I would share. I think I need a new UV. Any uv recommendation for my 120g tank? I won’t use a Jebao

Last edited:

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an ich outbreak that killed half my fish. Then I bought a 57watt UV for my 150gal... I have since added a mustard tang, Achilles tang and powderblue tang. That's enough proof for me. I never even have it on anymore. I just use it when I add new fish and just run it at night when I do.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an ich outbreak that killed half my fish. Then I bought a 57watt UV for my 150gal... I have since added a mustard tang, Achilles tang and powderblue tang. That's enough proof for me. I never even have it on anymore. I just use it when I add new fish and just run it at night when I do.

What UV did you buy? I had a 36w on my 120g that’s 105g total water volume

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers!

I cleaned out UV to find it melting plastic inside its tube. I no longer have the UV hooked up.

I installed my UV after an Ich outbreak about 6 months ago. After the UV was installed I no longer had issues with Ich.

Now after it’s been off for 11 days my Flasher Wasse has been acting funny. Now is full of Ich...

This says UV keeps Ich away... it’s proof to me. I had it around 150gph in my sump running.

How treating tank with medicated food and carbon in my sump. Dr. Gs. I can not catch my fish.

Thought I would share. I think I need a new UV. Any uv recommendation for my 120g tank? I won’t use a Jebao
What uv did you have that melted?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers!

I've read stories about how people manage a tank with Ich, but never really rid the tank of it. Perhaps that is what the UV light was doing: keeping the Ich in check?

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read stories about how people manage a tank with Ich, but never really rid the tank of it. Perhaps that is what the UV light was doing: keeping the Ich in check?

Ya, that's what im thinking. UV kills floating ich so when it was off the floaters seem to get overwhelmed and attacked.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV may help keep parasites at bay. If your UV has been off 11 days and now a fish, particularly a wrasse (not overly susceptible to ich at all due to their thick slime coat and the fact that they sleep hidden in mucous cocoons) is already covered in spots tells me you're dealing with velvet. Few wrasse show ich, and the timeline is even more telling. 11 days isn't enough time for ich to reproduce enough to "infest" a fish with more than a few spots.

This is an interesting situation, and I do believe that UV can manage parasites. But it appears you've managed velvet, here. Unfortunately, one of the large drawbacks of this method is the permanence of it all. No lapse of your equipment, the increased cost to operate, and the reality that any stress event can give parasites the upper hand. Velvet in particular is very virulent, and if you don't get the UV fixed today there's a very high likelihood that you lose it. In fact, even if it was fixed today, the damage to the fish's gills is often several orders of magnitude worse than what you see on the body of the fish.

I appreciate you presenting us with this, but to me it is one example of how it can possibly prevent even velvet, but also some of the big drawbacks of these methods. Maybe stocking a second UV and any other "parasite management" equipment would be a good idea. Turning the UV off for Cyano I guess is another drawback, it has other unintended consequences.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not much help on the disease part of this, but feel like we should start warning people about the jebao melting thing. I put a 55w jebao on my new growout to manage dinos. I had it on less than a month, when I took it off and drained it I noticed a lot of black water and plastic material in the water coming out of the uv. Do they serve a purpose? I think so, but they are still a very cheap piece of equipment. Wishing you the best of luck @Neo Jeo !

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not much help on the disease part of this, but feel like we should start warning people about the jebao melting thing. I put a 55w jebao on my new growout to manage dinos. I had it on less than a month, when I took it off and drained it I noticed a lot of black water and plastic material in the water coming out of the uv. Do they serve a purpose? I think so, but they are still a very cheap piece of equipment. Wishing you the best of luck @Neo Jeo !

Jebao is crap. They melt plastic and it will end up in your water from the UV. I have hard this from a few people since posting this post.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV may help keep parasites at bay. If your UV has been off 11 days and now a fish, particularly a wrasse (not overly susceptible to ich at all due to their thick slime coat and the fact that they sleep hidden in mucous cocoons) is already covered in spots tells me you're dealing with velvet. Few wrasse show ich, and the timeline is even more telling. 11 days isn't enough time for ich to reproduce enough to "infest" a fish with more than a few spots.

This is an interesting situation, and I do believe that UV can manage parasites. But it appears you've managed velvet, here. Unfortunately, one of the large drawbacks of this method is the permanence of it all. No lapse of your equipment, the increased cost to operate, and the reality that any stress event can give parasites the upper hand. Velvet in particular is very virulent, and if you don't get the UV fixed today there's a very high likelihood that you lose it. In fact, even if it was fixed today, the damage to the fish's gills is often several orders of magnitude worse than what you see on the body of the fish.

I appreciate you presenting us with this, but to me it is one example of how it can possibly prevent even velvet, but also some of the big drawbacks of these methods. Maybe stocking a second UV and any other "parasite management" equipment would be a good idea. Turning the UV off for Cyano I guess is another drawback, it has other unintended consequences.

I don't believe its velvet. Its been a week now lets say and the fish is fine. No other fish have any symptoms. The only thing with the wrasse is his left eye is bulging.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe its velvet. Its been a week now lets say and the fish is fine. No other fish have any symptoms. The only thing with the wrasse is his left eye is bulging.
The timeline implies velvet with near certainty, IMO

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers!

I have an aqua uv 57 watt and recommend it if you are getting another uv.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course. What's so upsetting is more people dont use it. It's been proven for decades. As I've said many times... I had ich kill more than half my fish... bought a large UV and have since been able to add 3 acanthurus tangs (as most know, they are most susceptible to ich). I hardly ever run it. Only when getting new fish and it only need to be primarily run at night as a "mainence" method. I haven't run it in months and no signs of anything. Good nutrition (frozen and fresh foods) plus the right UV and you cant go wrong.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing with the wrasse is his left eye is bulging.

That is something that is entirely different. If both eyes were bulging, I'd be inclined to think infection. But since its only one eye, it may be an injury.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back