UV - Open Loop In Sump

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if anyone has what they would consider success using an open loop from the sump for UV sterilization. I understand the most common install is to split the return line from the sump using a valve to divert some of water so it routes to through the UV at a certain rate. I'd like to add a 15w UV to my 60g cube but don't have room to hang one off the back of the tank and really don't feel like hacking up my return line. I started to think about using a Sicce pump to send water through the UV in and out of the middle chamber of the sump. I obviously don't want to do this if it won't be effective. Curious about the experiences of people who have done this and whether they are happy with the results.

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has 2 manifolds pre-plumbed on the return, but the barb is too small for my UV and I didn't want to mess with it, plus wanted a way to control it without having to close the valve via the Apex so that's what I did. Not using a Sicce pump, but added an adjustable pump to my sump chamber and dropped the return line there to. My stand had a little shelf I put the mount clip on.

Early last month I had a bacteria bloom, ran this overnight and cleared it right up so know it works.

PXL_20201117_154443964.MP.jpg PXL_20201117_154428629.jpg

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a large uv on my tank. I do not run it to the returns because 1 I did not want to replumb the tank, and 2 I do not want to have to turn off my return because the uv is leaking or needs serviced. I had dinos real bad, and running it this way cleared them up in about 3 days.

20201117_110133.jpg

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure in this configuration some of the water is bypassing my skimmer, but to no ill effect. And I have been running it this was for about 9 months. And I am still putting out the same amount of skimmate.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be “that guy”, but if you’re gonna do it..... I’d go bigger

I wouldn't. 15 Watts on a 60 gallon is 4 watts per gallon. That's plenty big enough. I run a 55watt uv on my 125 gallon and I have some mild heat issues. Because at the end of the day, a UV is a heater that never shuts off. And anything larger then a 15 watt is likely to cause him heat issues.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't. 15 Watts on a 60 gallon is 4 watts per gallon. That's plenty big enough. I run a 55watt uv on my 125 gallon and I have some mild heat issues. Because at the end of the day, a UV is a heater that never shuts off. And anything larger then a 15 watt is likely to cause him heat issues.

I run 4 Aqua UV 25W so 100W total on my 145-or so gallon, and my temp remains at 77-79 without a heater 9 months out of the year. I am not big on A/C, so I run a chiller in the summer since the ambient room temp can get quite high, but if have a constant ambient temp, I don’t see the UV causing too much heat. No different than my lights really

OP
OP
J

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll admit that I've wavered between the 15w and 25w if only so I'm better positioned should I upgrade the tank. I think I'm going to go with the 15w because if I were to upgrade it would be to a tank that is bigger than the 25w could serve.

I've had some larger in the past, and while I do enjoy the extra wide view and motion, I'm also sort of digging the constraints of the 24" cube. If anything I wish I had a room behind the tank where I could do a large lagoon style slow flow fuge and have the sump at waist level instead of on the floor. Starting to feel my age when I'm crawling around and contorting myself into the cabinet for maintenance :oops:.

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running an 18W on mine which is 180ish total volume... Got a deal on the Coralife Twist 6X so figured I give it a go before I invested more $$$... like I said, cleared a bad bacteria bloom that was clogging my filter socks every 10-12 hours running around 450GPH through it overnight

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Alchameth , is there a reason you only run it at night and not around the clock?
I was running 24/7 when I first got it. It is off now because I need to get my Nitrates and Phos up and some of the things I'm dosing don't want UV and/or skimmer on so both those are off.
For awhile I was running it during the day, figured pods are more active at night and maybe it would let a few more of the buggers from the fuge up to the tank... not that that is a big deal.

I am not sure why they are doing that, but every one I looked at it said that was bad for the bulb turning them on and off a lot. And that it would greatly reduce the life of the bulb.

Sure there is some truth to this, but to what extent who really knows. Excessive on and off for any electronics is bad for it. I however don't consider ON once and OFF once during a 24 hr cycle to be excessive and feel there is some benefit to having it off part of the day.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run a 55w Aquagard Promax, intake is from the skimmer chamber and output into the return chamber. Been running for a few months. Got it for dinos originally and had it temporarily plumbed into the DT then moved it down when they cleared up.

No blooms or dinos since. Running it at about 350/gph off of a jebao 2500 on lowest setting.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running 24/7 when I first got it. It is off now because I need to get my Nitrates and Phos up and some of the things I'm dosing don't want UV and/or skimmer on so both those are off.
For awhile I was running it during the day, figured pods are more active at night and maybe it would let a few more of the buggers from the fuge up to the tank... not that that is a big deal.

Sure there is some truth to this, but to what extent who really knows. Excessive on and off for any electronics is bad for it. I however don't consider ON once and OFF once during a 24 hr cycle to be excessive and feel there is some benefit to having it off part of the day.
The owners manual for mine (lifegard aquatics), specifically says to not turn it off any more then absolutely necessary because of the degradation of the bulb. So I would call daily a lot. The bulb is only rated for 1 year of use (at least in my case). So 365 times on and off. The bulbs get pretty darn hot, I think that heat up and cool down is what does it. For this reason I have only turned mine off 2 or 3 times since I have been running it (about 9 months). I would rather stick with manufacturer's recommendation. I mean the one year life span is based off of degradation. Sure the light still is on after 1 year, but there's no way of telling at what percentage of what it is supposed to be.

Now if your uv is really large for your system, then none of that matters probably. Just my thoughts.

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Miller535 I get what you're saying. My manual doesn't mention anything regarding on/off cycles. There is no shortage of misleading information out there regarding UV. For instance, on one page of my manual it lists the hour rating as Approx 8,000 hours which is 333 days.

1605739474847.png

Further down it tells you once a year. That's not a big difference, figuring most people will turn it off here and there, maintenance, etc...

1605739565604.png

To get really contradictory info you have to go to their product page for this gem.

1605739670817.png

4,000 hours or 6 months.

Anyone who's use T5s knows the truth that yes bulbs degrade with use. But in relating to UV is it hard to believe companies would have you replace a bulb more frequently than needed?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back