UV plumbing question

  • Thread starter Thread starter wesman42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 20, 2018
Messages
1,215
Reaction score
1,458
Location
Allendale
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be installing a 55W UV in my system in a few days. I'll be using 3/4" hose. I have a simple question about using Barb fittings.

Do I just use zip ties to hold the hose onto each end + pump? I'm worried about leaks.
 
These are the best clips to use for vinyl/soft tubing to barb fittings :) Be sure to place them between the ribs of the barbed fittings before you snug them up. This will ensure the compression holds the tubing snuggly on the barbs.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ratchet-clamp-for-tubing-1-6684828461f4e5bda1e2a33b5e0db6d3.html

203072-tube-ratchet-clamps-grouped-a_1.jpg
 
If hose is tightly pushed on it won’t leak
 
If hose is tightly pushed on it won’t leak

That too lol I ran my Manifold with no ties of any kind on the barbed fittings with zero leaks. But doesn't hurt to have a little extra security:)
 
That too lol I ran my Manifold with no ties of any kind on the barbed fittings with zero leaks. But doesn't hurt to have a little extra security:)
Ah, yes I wanted to avoid yet ANOTHER brs order (and the associated waiting time)...so I guess I'll use zip ties for now, then order them in the future when I refresh other things like my group/carbon.


Thanks for the help!!
 
Depends if the hose is soft enough to conform for a tight fit, some of the heavy duty vinyl hoses are too hard to close all the gaps around a barbed fitting.
The ratchet clamps are a good peace of mind.
 
Ah, yes I wanted to avoid yet ANOTHER brs order (and the associated waiting time)...so I guess I'll use zip ties for now, then order them in the future when I refresh other things like my group/carbon.


Thanks for the help!!

I think Marine Depot carries them as well;):p but as @theMeat says above as long as they are snug you should be good.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new