UV resistant tinting to limit light exposure

Nikko

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 31, 2016
Messages
121
Reaction score
50
Location
Michigan
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up a new 90 gallon reef tank in my living room, a little closer to direct sunlight than what is advisable, and having minor algae issues after 2 months. initially a diatom bloom that came and went and now sone green algae (not sute what type). I have blinds which slightly helps limit light exposure, but wanted to know people's thoughts and opinions about getting UV resistant clear tint on my living room windows to further reduce sun exposure. I really, really, don't want to go through the process of moving the tank, this is a perfect spot for it besides the light issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!!
 
I recently set up a new 90 gallon reef tank in my living room, a little closer to direct sunlight than what is advisable, and having minor algae issues after 2 months. initially a diatom bloom that came and went and now sone green algae (not sute what type). I have blinds which slightly helps limit light exposure, but wanted to know people's thoughts and opinions about getting UV resistant clear tint on my living room windows to further reduce sun exposure. I really, really, don't want to go through the process of moving the tank, this is a perfect spot for it besides the light issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!!
Worth a shot? If you have never tinted a window, make sure you look at some videos so you don't get bubbles on the glass.
Side note: Some new tanks go through stages of algae blooms before things equalize.
 
Good information! I don't trust myself to apply the tint correctly so will definitely hire a professional to do the job. thanks for your time!
 
Last edited:
I would consider the sunlight a bonus. The best growth I ever had was in a tank that received 2-3 hours of sunlight through a window. It might accelerate the algae growth in the beginning, but will be a big benefit in 6--12 months. You should be able to get a blind for now though.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 2 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new