UV Sterilizer closed loop in sump?

optimisticdingo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone found a way to do a good closed loop in the sump? I was thinking of placing my pump near the overflow and then placing the output in my return chamber. Would this still be a closed loop technically? I'm trying to avoid placing equipment in the tank if at all possible.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a while I ran my UV with feed pump in the skimmer chamber and outflow into the return pump compartment. It worked fine for me although I had to adjust my water level sensor in the return compartment. I'm currently running a closed loop in my DT instead due to a bad dino problem. When I 'm done with that, I'm going to plumb my UV into one of my return lines on a bypass loop

OP
OP
O

optimisticdingo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a while I ran my UV with feed pump in the skimmer chamber and outflow into the return pump compartment. It worked fine for me although I had to adjust my water level sensor in the return compartment. I'm currently running a closed loop in my DT instead due to a bad dino problem. When I 'm done with that, I'm going to plumb my UV into one of my return lines on a bypass loop
I'm trying to fight dinos right now (ostreopsis). So perhaps doing a closed loop in the display is best. Do you have pics of how yours looks?

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to fight dinos right now (ostreopsis). So perhaps doing a closed loop in the display is best. Do you have pics of how yours looks?
I'll take a couple pics later when my lights come on. I had my doubts that doing a closed loop in the tank would be better than having one in the sump since it's all one system obviously. However, the difference was striking in my case

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read lots of posts with the closed loop in the dt is really the only way really to make a dent in the problem. Guess this is one more anecdote. Gonna do the same if my problem gets worse too. Might as well just do what works best for people who have done it instead of trying in the sump and it not working like it just doesn’t seem to.

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the Green Machine 25w which seems to be doing the trick for me as I am fighting ostreopsis as well. Great thing is it just sticks to the wall, and no need for plumbing.

KPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green Machine 25w
The Green Killing Machine? I’m having a bad GHA problem in a biocube and look to have a cyano problem in my reefer DT. I’ve been looking and researching fixes and came across this item.

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Green Killing Machine? I’m having a bad GHA problem in a biocube and look to have a cyano problem in my reefer DT. I’ve been looking and researching fixes and came across this item.
Yep. That one. I picked it up from Petco and there's a 60 day return policy on it. For about $100, and the ability to return it if it doesn't work...what's there to lose? Except dinos. I want to lose dinos.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics of my setup. Ugly as sin (and temporary) but it's working...
UV1.jpg UV3.jpg UV2.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back