Uv-sterilizer during cycle

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of a week ago (10th) I started my tank cycle. Today I've finally recorded 0 ammonia. Now I'm waiting for me to read 0 nitrite. At what point would I be okay to use my uv-sterilizer? It's been unplugged this entire time.

No livestock, I tend to have the lights on a little bit throughout the day because I like looking at it. There is about 60 lb of caribsea Life Rock and 50 lb of sand making a one inch sand bed

While I'm at it, when should I turn on my protein skimmer?

16503148850365432903775286926340.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the UV, I would probably wait until the cycle is finished. For the skimmer, I would wait until after your nitrates have peaked then turn it on to assist in bringing the nitrates down. Good luck with the new tank!

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the UV, I would probably wait until the cycle is finished. For the skimmer, I would wait until after your nitrates have peaked then turn it on to assist in bringing the nitrates down. Good luck with the new tank!
Thanks. Appreciate the good info :)

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what i just did. I added uv 2 weeks after cycle was done. I kept my skimmer off for about a month. Now just run the skimmer during the day.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back