reeferlife1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi Fellow Reefer
i have 90 gallon with 25W Aqua Ultraviolet Classic Series
what is the best flow rate can control algae and parasite but still safe for Pods

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Untitled.png

I have posted from the AquaUV manual which will give you flow rates for different amounts of UV exposure.

Aqua UV Recommends 800-1200 GPH for reef tanks to avoid killing plankton but at this flow rate, you will not be able to kill ich or larger parasites. The sad truth is there is no way to kill large parasites and not kill plankton. UV is indiscriminate and it will kill whatever passes through the unit.

I personally run a faster flow rate through my UV because I am mostly trying to avoid bacterial infections and Dino blooms. If you want to kill Ich you can slow down the flow but you will kill a lot of pods and other microplankton in the process.

OP
OP
R

reeferlife1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Untitled.png

I have posted from the AquaUV manual which will give you flow rates for different amounts of UV exposure.

Aqua UV Recommends 800-1200 GPH for reef tanks to avoid killing plankton but at this flow rate, you will not be able to kill ich or larger parasites. The sad truth is there is no way to kill large parasites and not kill plankton. UV is indiscriminate and it will kill whatever passes through the unit.

I personally run a faster flow rate through my UV because I am mostly trying to avoid bacterial infections and Dino blooms. If you want to kill Ich you can slow down the flow but you will kill a lot of pods and other microplankton in the process.
thanks for help

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24/7 you think with that flow rate can kill parasite also pods?
Pods generally do not just hang out in water so you should be fine. The bigger risk killing off anything in the water they feed off of if you do not supplement or have an established enough system. As for parasites it depends if they are in the water column.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Untitled.png

This is key in selecting the correct UV and not about getting the biggest but best fit. As for plankton, UV doesn't need to run 24/7 and a compromise can be set to meet various needs. How effective that is I'm not sure.

OP
OP
R

reeferlife1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods generally do not just hang out in water so you should be fine. The bigger risk killing off anything in the water they feed off of if you do not supplement or have an established enough system. As for parasites it depends if they are in the water column.
got it, thanks

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 100 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back