UV Sterilizer for 150 gallon

rainsong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi:

I am currently cycling a 150 gallon + 40B sump system. I am new to saltwater and have been watching a lot of BRSTv. They recommended adding a UV Sterilizer from the start. My clown pair is still in QT and have about 5 weeks more to go.

What brand/size UV do you recommend for pathogen control? What is the best way to plumb it into my system?

Thanks!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Aqua Ultraviolet 57-watt UV on a Sicce SDC 6.0 pump. I added it after the fact to my stock Red Sea reefer 750XXL (200 gallons total). If you have a manifold or are planning one, you can plumb it in directly to your returns as an option (that will yield the best results as all the water returning to the tank has to pass through the UV).

I run my Sicce in the post filter sock chamber and direct it into the next chamber with my skimmer and reactors (just before the return pump chamber). It’s running @60% which probably generates a flow rate of around 650-750Gph (slightly less than my return pump).

Addendum: I just wanted to add that the separate pump has a fringe benefit - namely that it helps water circulation in the sump and eliminates any dead spots.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rainsong

rainsong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Aqua Ultraviolet 57-watt UV on a Sicce SDC 6.0 pump. I added it after the fact to my stock Red Sea reefer 750XXL (200 gallons total). If you have a manifold or are planning one, you can plumb it in directly to your returns as an option (that will yield the best results as all the water returning to the tank has to pass through the UV).

I run my Sicce in the post filter sock chamber and direct it into the next chamber with my skimmer and reactors (just before the return pump chamber). It’s running @60% which probably generates a flow rate of around 650-750Gph (slightly less than my return pump).
lol … had to Google manifold. I might go that route.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More worried about space … some of them are HUGE
It doesn’t have to go in your stand (many place it outside behind their tank). Just remember to do your calculations for 90 degree elbows and height so you can size or spec the right pump (or what to adjust your main return pump in order to compensate) in order to get the right flow and exposure you desire.

Addendum: Based on the size of your tank you’re probably looking at a 25-watt (minimum), and ideally a 40-watt or higher.

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 return pumps. One runs a return directly to the tank. The other pump runs through the UV and into the tank using the other return. I don't dump it back into sump.

OP
OP
rainsong

rainsong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arguably the best. I have a 25watt Pentair on a 187g FOWLR. I use it for algae not disease so I didn't oversize it. Keeps panels super clean.
I ended up getting an Aqua UV 25watts from this guy because it was a killer deal. I hope I don't regret it. When you say you use it for algae, does that include dyno (or is that a reef thing ... I am a newbie). What GPH do you run?

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a solid unit. You'll be good with that choice no worries. It will keep dynos, cyano and glass algae at bay. If you have high nutrients and parameters get out of whack..you'll still get algae on your rocks so watch that of course as well. But each unit will have a GPH recommendation for a specific job (algae/clear water vs. Disease). I have a high water turnover on my FOWLRs so that water gets through the sump more for skimming. Pentair 25watt suggests 472 - 788 GPH for algae. This is a FOWLR so I don't have any flow meters or anything like that. When I set it up I roughly calculated flow by timing the filling of a 1 gallon bucket out from the return. It's somewhere between the numbers I posted. Water is crystal clear and no algae..clean the panels barely once every 10 days and not much even when I do.. check out the specs for your unit. Good luck!

OP
OP
rainsong

rainsong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a solid unit. You'll be good with that choice no worries. It will keep dynos, cyano and glass algae at bay. If you have high nutrients and parameters get out of whack..you'll still get algae on your rocks so watch that of course as well. But each unit will have a GPH recommendation for a specific job (algae/clear water vs. Disease). I have a high water turnover on my FOWLRs so that water gets through the sump more for skimming. Pentair 25watt suggests 472 - 788 GPH for algae. This is a FOWLR so I don't have any flow meters or anything like that. When I set it up I roughly calculated flow by timing the filling of a 1 gallon bucket out from the return. It's somewhere between the numbers I posted. Water is crystal clear and no algae..clean the panels barely once every 10 days and not much even when I do.. check out the specs for your unit. Good luck!
The Aqua UV 25w seems to recommend 1200 GPH for 30,000 microWatts/cm2 (for saltwater clarification). I have a 2641GPH return pump and can tune it down to this level. I might follow your lead and plumb the uv directly into the return.

I am surprised at your turnover. It seems low to me and yet you call it high water turnover. What is "normal" in saltwater?

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Neptune COR 20s. They're opened up pretty good. The pump that goes straight to the return runs higher than the UV dedicated one. Honestly I don't pay much attention to flow numbers..no corals here and even when I did I kept softies and some LPS. I used MP40s for flow on those setups.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reason to run a UV for disease control, that doesn’t work first of all and second you should be QT all livestock.

I would get a 25 watt unit and turn over 5x tank volume per hour

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 145 61.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.0%
Back