Uv sterilizer plumbing

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my tank running for almost a year. I just got a uv sterilizer and waiting for the apex flow meter to arrive. What's the best way to plumb it in . I though having it on the outside of the stand and into one of the return lines. It's a dual corner overflow . But I also heard it's best to have both return plumbed onto the uv sterilizer instead of just one. Or would I be better off just plumbing it in and returning the water into my sump so pulling from sump and returning it to the sump. Any advice please. Ty.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I see for plumbing it into both is so that you effectively sterilize all the water returning from the sump. It would be more effective but not necessary. If your going to go the return route you have to make sure to install a check valve. Uv sterilizers are supposed to be full of water while on. Otherwise things malfunction/melt/crack. And if you hit feed mode on a return or turn on off for some reason they'll empty the uv by back siphoning. If I where you id pick up a pump for the uv and plumb it separately. Even a jebao would work good.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious how you ended up plumbing the UV in? I’ve been reading up on them and apparently there is a good deal of misinformation or misunderstanding on the topic, including from manufacturers and retailers.
I haven't plumbed it yet. Thinking getting a second one maybe not quite as big. I got the Coralife 12x rated for yo to 500 gallon tanks. Might get a second rated for 125 gallon tanks. And plumbing both in.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AEBB2718-8D47-4BAF-AE69-A1DFEA1A5909.jpeg
I use the simplest method— notice I make no claim to the “best”— merely the simplest. Sump to sump with a cheap dedicated variable Jebao pump in the sump; silicone tubing.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back