UV Sterilizer Question

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the follow up. The latest explanation is that the voltmeters are unable to accurately measure the current draw for their uv sterilizer. Personally, I think that's a crap answer and I'm not going to spend another dime on their products.
I’d steer clear of Pentair UVs as well than.
they are just as clueless about their own products.
had them send me 3 new ballasts, and 2 new bulbs and my UV still constantly trips any GFCI it’s plugged into.
then their customer service manager just straight stopped dealing with me at all and I had to get BRS to contact them for me on my behalf and they still ignored BRS.
BRS ended up sending me a whole new unit on their dime as an apology, but I haven’t even bothered setting it up because I’m sure it’s just gonna have the same issues again and Pentair can’t solve the issue

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the follow up. The latest explanation is that the voltmeters are unable to accurately measure the current draw for their uv sterilizer. Personally, I think that's a crap answer and I'm not going to spend another dime on their products.

That is a crap answer from someone has has absolutely no knowledge of electricity or electronics. As I stated previously I work on electronics in a test lab. The very first thing I do is check the current draw. And the most basic walmart meter can do this, and accurately.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Old thread, but I just saw it and have the exact same results with my 57 watt Aqua UV Classic. According to Apex, it pulls 44W and .3A.

LVReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watt's law :p
But seriously I think the discrepancy is because of the Power Factor. The UV bulb will be attached to a ballast and the apparent vs real power will be different. This is because a ballast is an inductive load (as opposed to most other loads in your system being resistive or capacitive). In a DC circuit, W = V*A but in an AC circuit, W = VA*PF (Power Factor). I'm not sure what module neptune is using but my bet is that it's being confused by the inductive load and assumes W=VA on an AC plug.

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the same, brand new 57W ballast and bulb and am drawing 44W according to my apex. Pretty disappointing. I originally reached out to aqua uv to ask if I could upgrade my 25W to a 57W by swapping out the ballast and bulb and they quickly confirmed that was fine. But once I had an issue with the power draw, they've been ghosting me for months. Reached out to BRS and saltwateraquarium.com after a couple months of hearing nothing from aqua UV. BRS got back to me and said the issue couldn't be with the bulb (bought from them) and suggested I keep trying to work with Aqua UV. Saltwareaquarium.com (where I bought the ballast) never replied.

The odd thing is the original aqua UV 25W bulb and ballast drew 28-29W at the outlet according to apex. So their 25W seems like it's right. But alot of complaints about the 57w version. Seems we've all been a victims of a misrepresented product.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will tell you this. It will shock you. When I was setting up tank I kept feeling electricity every time I put my hand in the sump. I hadn't installed the bulb yet and noticed transformer wire hanging in the water. lol Is it DC or AC?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back