UV Sterilizer question

xclintonx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having some diatom issues and am considering an open loop UV sterilizer.

I have the Red Sea 300 XL which has a 15 gallon sump and 65 gallon display.

Looking for opinions from reefers who are smarter than me (Most all of you LOL)

Here is what I am thinking:

IMG_2159.jpg

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reefer myself and have installed many AquaUV units over the years working at an LFS. I really don't think you can go wrong with one. The only thing I would suggest is that there is a strong chance you can use your return pump.

Normally a system return pump is just about perfect for the algae kill rate of a properly sized UV. This is how I have my UV plumbed on my reefer. What return pump do you have?

OP
OP
xclintonx

xclintonx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Vectra M2. I was just trying avoid messing with hard plumbing and hoped to leave that pump alone. Took me a while to get it where I wanted it. Talk me in to it!

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t see spending upwards of 200 on a uv which is just a bulb in a canister. I’v been using odyssea for over a decade without issue.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Vectra M2. I was just trying avoid messing with hard plumbing and hoped to leave that pump alone. Took me a while to get it where I wanted it. Talk me in to it!
Well here I go.

If you can use 1 pump you will have one less thing to maintain and you will use less energy overall. There is also a performance benefit associated with pumping all of the water from the sump through the UV. With the UV returning back to the sump you can get some bypass and re-circulation. Additionally if I read the M2 flow chart correctly at 10ft of head which is what I consider average after normal return pump restrictions the flow looks to be about 700GPH which is what AquaUV recommends for 30,000 micro moles per centimetre squared sterilization.

To me it is just really simple to cut the return line and connect the UV. It may be hard based on your plumbing but it is the solution I prefer to go with.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having some diatom issues and am considering an open loop UV sterilizer.

I have the Red Sea 300 XL which has a 15 gallon sump and 65 gallon display.

Looking for opinions from reefers who are smarter than me (Most all of you LOL)

Here is what I am thinking:

IMG_2159.jpg

Honestly that looks like cyanobacteria to me. Respectfully. I would syphon out what you can.

OP
OP
xclintonx

xclintonx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, @Flippers4pups gets a big +1 from me. Diaoms are usually powdery and can be blown off, cyano forms mats and is slimy. That sure does look like cyanobacteria.
Solution? I posted pics the other day and got a different response.

I appreciate all feedback.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 1
Phosphate .024
Alk 8.3
Salinity 1.025
PH 8.5
Temp 77.4

Okay, looks good. add in the UV sterilizer to your tank is not a bad idea but for cyanobacteria I would just siphon it off the sand but at this point.

OP
OP
xclintonx

xclintonx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, looks good. add in the UV sterilizer to your tank is not a bad idea but for cyanobacteria I would just siphon it off the sand but at this point.
Thanks!

That is one reason why I contributed to this site. Non-judgmental, unlike a facebook group I am a part of. I appreciate your response!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV only affects the water column, what’s stuck to surfaces would not be impacted.
It will however, significantly reduce the “bads” in the water column and thus, will over time, be a contributor to pest algae and bacteria population reductions.

I run a 24” 55 watt unit @300gph, 24-7.
Really makes a noticeable difference in water clarity. 4A8DED1B-4BED-4B17-B782-996935DF6A42.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back