UV sterilizer upgrade question

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 24W UV sterilizer on my 108g aquarium. I have come to the conclusion that I need to upgrade it. Do I need to get a new replacement sterilizer in the 40-50w range, or can I simply add on an additional 24W sterilizer in series with the old one?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s see what others think— and personally if you could afford another (larger) single unit that’s probably the way I’d go— but if you like the unit you have, you could add another unit just like it. However I’m quite not sure you want to feed unit 2 with water from unit 1. You might want just a duplicate set-up where unit 2 also gets fed directly right from your tank. You would certainly process more gallons-per-hour that way. I guess it depends on what you are trying to achieve— greater contact “time” or greater “amount” of water in contact with the UV light.

OP
OP
Wtyson254

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s see what others think— and personally if you could afford another (larger) single unit that’s probably the way I’d go— but if you like the unit you have, you could add another unit just like it. However I’m quite not sure you want to feed unit 2 with water from unit 1. You might want just a duplicate set-up where unit 2 also gets fed directly right from your tank. You would certainly process more gallons-per-hour that way. I guess it depends on what you are trying to achieve— greater contact “time” or greater “amount” of water in contact with the UV light.
I want both. I can afford a larger UV, but my space is somewhat limited. That’s why I thought two 24W in series with each other would be a reasonable option. Some of the larger UV sterilizers seem to use this setup (two bulb) as opposed to one long bulb.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back