UV Sterilizer

Wild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone here experience or used a add on UV sterilizer, that attaches to a RO/DI unit? Would they work for my 90 gal reef tank? TIA

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone here experience or used a add on UV sterilizer, that attaches to a RO/DI unit? Would they work for my 90 gal reef tank? TIA
I’ve seen an add-on UV that hangs over the back of the tank, but you don’t connect it to an RO unit.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen home systems that have UV in conjunction with filters. It's going to depend on materials as there should be no metals that saltwater can corrode. Then on sizing and flow rates to achieve proper exposure levels and times.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why?

RO/DI water should come out clear as a bell without having any bacteria.

The flow could be too slow for a UV to not overheat and crack its internal glass tube.

OP
OP
Wild1

Wild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 6-stage-ro-di-uv-booster-pump-clear-housings-without-tank-19.jpeg
    6-stage-ro-di-uv-booster-pump-clear-housings-without-tank-19.jpeg
    274.6 KB · Views: 44

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV is designed to remove various things from your display tank. The water coming from your RO won't have any of these things.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the photo, @choprjohn, that's definitely a new one on me. But for reasons others have stated, I would put it in the "gimmick" category. Think it through; is Ich or Marine Velvet coming out of your home's water supply? Or algae for that matter? Put the money into enough decent RO/DI filter-stages that are going to get you zero total dissolved solids (TDS) going INTO your tank, and save the UV sterilizer for the tank itself-- where all the 'crap-ola' will be. My thoughts, anyway. ;Happy

Last edited:

CK00020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I think Boston reefer is on the right track, usually used when you pull water from a known contaminated source. I have seen these installed in fishing lodges on lake of the woods when they pull water from the lake. No real need on a rodi but can make questionable water bacteriology safe.

OP
OP
Wild1

Wild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the photo, @choprjohn, that's definitely a new one on me. But for reasons others have stated, I would put it in the "gimmick" category. Think it through; is Ich or Marine Velvet coming out of your home's water supply? Or algae for that matter? Put the money into enough decent RO/DI filter-stages that are going to get you zero total dissolved solids (TDS) going INTO your tank, and save the UV sterilizer for the tank itself-- where all the 'crap-ola' will be. My thoughts, anyway. ;Happy
I have well water so, I'm not really sure what's in it. I'm really hoping the RO/DI will cover it, and thank you for your insight!

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I think Boston reefer is on the right track, usually used when you pull water from a known contaminated source. I have seen these installed in fishing lodges on lake of the woods when they pull water from the lake. No real need on a rodi but can make questionable water bacteriology safe.
You changed your picture! I was just kidding!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back