UV sterilizers 2 or 1

ThatTennesseeBeardedGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So quick question I realize UV run on 2 flow rates for 2 very different purposes. Algae and pests, would it make sense to purchase to UV sterilizers to perform both of the tasks efficiently or something else. Thanks in advance.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No . Its a progression. If it is set for pests then it will also help with algae

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be wrong. It wouldn't be a first. But I don't buy the two UV thing I've seen BRS promote. If you have enough uw/cm2 to kill (actually sterilize) a parasite, it sure as heck should kill an algae cell. I don't remember the parasite kill rating, but that's what you need to look at if that's the purpose of getting a UV. Not wattage. Then match the gph to achieve that kill rate.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, since you can't tell the algae to go into one and parasite to go into the other, you are basically making the whole system less effective bc half of the stuff will go to the "wrong" one.

The people that say "stick with the slow flow one bc if it can sterilize parasite then it can def sterilize algae" is only partially true. For algae - there is a reason you need to flow to be fast - , bc they reproduce faster, the flow needs to be fast enough so that you can turn the total tank water volume over a few times a hour to ensure maximum effectiveness. For these, the important point is that the flow needs to be just slow enough to sterilize the algal cell in 1 pass, but also fast enough to turn the tank over so that you minimize the "live" ones in your tank from reproducing faster than yiur UV can sterilize. So, if your UV isn't powerful enough, making it slow may kill both the parasites and algae that pass thru it, but it may not be fast enough turnover to keep up with the algae reproduction in your tank.

If you are spending money on 2 UVs, its better to just buy 1 overpowered on instead, bc an oversized one will have enough uw/cm2 to kill the pest under the "slow flow" mode but bc its oversized for your tank, even a slow flow mode will give you enough tank turnover to keep pace with the algae since your tank volume is smaller.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to UV's. On my new build, I will have 2 return pumps (cor-20's) and the lfs suggested 2 15w UV's, one on each line.

Here is his suggestion/take:
"For reef tanks you want sterilization between 30000-45000 (EOL). Anything higher will kill beneficial bacteria. With this set up you will be around 25000 (EOL) at all times, which is ideal for preventing green water . You can turn down the pump when needed to achieve higher EOL" and "If you turn it up it will help with ich outbreaks (will not eradicate, but help). However, turning it up will also destroy all the good planktons and good bacteria too."

The UV's I'm purchasing are ATP Eliminator, qty 2. I believe they are 15w each

How do I know what to set the flow to? Is there a dial or something?

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind a UV sterilizer will only potentially kill whatever is in the water column. If you have parasites that are already attached to their hosts UV won't do sheeeet.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a single one and set it to kill pests. It will kill the algae also.

The higher flow "suggestions" just mean you can run it that fast and it will still kill the algae. But that doesn't actually mean you have to run it that fast for it to work. The only possible problem would be not enough water volume through the UV, but it's not going to happen.

I have never had an algae bloom doing this.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine only at a few short times per day
More at night. As sooon as lights out, because I think thats when parasites tend to hatch out. A sleeping floating fish is easier to catch a ride on

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%
Back