Vacation time and tank status

Pimba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just creating this thread to document the status of my tank during my 4 week vacation hoping it will help someone in future.

Tank: Red Sea Reefer 350 about 5+ months old, 2 kessil a160WEs (5.5 hours at 60% intensity 1330 to 1900), 250w heater, skimmer, jebao return pump and 1 maxspect gyre 4k

Live stock: blue tang, scopas tang, coral beauty, dwarf puffer, clownfish pair, bi color blenny and 2 wrasses, LPS and soft corals mainly

Monitoring and Automation:
- 2 tapo IP cameras,
- WiFi energy monitoring plug,
- WiFi controllable switch for skimmer (for emergencies)
- Another wifi switch for a small water pump which I can turn on remotely to fill up my ato (love these gravity fed auto top off units of RS tanks)
- AliExpress autofeeder feeding small amounts of pellets 2 times a day
- cameras are setup in a way so I can read temperature and the other led status lights

It's been 8 days and the tank has been running on a fully automated mode so far with no issues. All the fish are feeding well and behaving like they used to be.❤️

Some pics as of now so you can get an idea.
Screenshot_2022-04-03-11-18-55-446_com.tplink.iot.jpg
Screenshot_2022-04-03-11-19-34-493_com.tplink.iot.jpg
Screenshot_2022-04-03-11-35-10-602_com.tplink.iot.jpg
Screenshot_2022-04-03-11-35-40-348_com.tplink.iot.jpg

I'll keep on updating this thread in the coming days/weeks.

Please share if you have anything to say as well...

Last edited:

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank been set up just over a year and been on 2 holidays and next one in May,always a anxious time before and especially during my holiday,main thing I worry about is will there be enough water in my ato reservoir to last which it's just about lasted, I have to pay mother in law to come over once a day to feed my fish ( my copperband only eats shellfish so cant have auto feeder lol) and as mother in law won't put hand in tank if anything dies,I needed to ask neighbour if prepared to pull out anything dead ,or fill up my ato reservoir if needed,which he said he would ,came back off last holiday and a tuxedo urchin dead and 2 days later another died then a conch died in first week back,not sure if fish used to my 3 x a day feeding and got hungry when only got 1 x a day feed whilst on holiday and killed urchin or councedence/ or something else idk,but glad you got alot automated and so far everything going good for you, hopefully all well for full 4 weeks holiday ^_^

OP
OP
P

Pimba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For filling up the ATO, you can try my approach with a small water pump, RO water barrel and a smart WiFi switch. @ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you mean have 1 container of rodi with a small pump and WiFi switch to fill up my main rodi ato reservoir which has a small pump / float switch in sump?

I was just thinking get a bigger container and put my ato in that and have in front of tank ,as mine at moment is side of tank neatly packed away in corner so can't see it

OP
OP
P

Pimba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Something like this connected to a pump ?

I'm using these smart WiFi plugs. In my case what I do is, I turn on the WiFi plug which will turn on the small water pump inside the RODI water barrel. It will pump water into the ATO (see my first pic) which I visually monitor with the camera and once the water level is at the proper level I turn off the WiFi plug with the tapo app.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just wheel my brute can next to the tank and put the ato pump in there. Need to put anti siphon hole in the line but otherwise it works great. (Provided your protein skimmer doesn't go into overdrive and dump 30 gallons of saltwater on your floor while your ato fills your tank with 30 gallons of rodi water.)

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm using these smart WiFi plugs. In my case what I do is, I turn on the WiFi plug which will turn on the small water pump inside the RODI water barrel. It will pump water into the ATO (see my first pic) which I visually monitor with the camera and once the water level is at the proper level I turn off the WiFi plug with the tapo app.

Thanks for that ,will look into it.
You have your ato reservoir on top your sump so only need one other reservoir outside tank.
As I've already got 5 gallon barrel at side of tank,and would need another to use this WiFi smart plug and another pump.
I will probably just use another bigger container and place in front of tank, and if water level above sump water level add anti siphon to stop the small drip that occurs.
Thankyou for sharing though as could go this way ir even have another use for it ^_^

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back