Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great thread on the subject by @dbl

Kudos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don’t, I just make sure my ato reservoir is topped off and good to go. My vacation plan is my disaster relief plan.

dylana407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is applicable to my tank. Your tank maybe different. I make sure my ATO reservoir is full. Clean ATO sensors and test them. Do a WC 2 or 3 days before departure date. Turn off dosing and skimmer. Turn off white band. I don't feed my fish for the duration of the trip. The longest I have gone is 12 days.

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is applicable to my tank. Your tank maybe different. I make sure my ATO reservoir is full. Clean ATO sensors and test them. Do a WC 2 or 3 days before departure date. Turn off dosing and skimmer. Turn off white band. I don't feed my fish for the duration of the trip. The longest I have gone is 12 days.
Why not feed fish for that long? Even with automatic pellet feeder

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do anything significant to the tank for a couple of days before your leave. I do a water change a couple of days before. Fill my dosing containers and ATO reservoir, make up individual frozen food zip lock bags for each day I'm gone (always have a friend come over and feed/check on the tank). I do feed a little more lightly when gone simply because I can't ask a friend to come multiple times a day to feed.

I do not change my lighting while I'm gone. I have to continue my dosing pumps.....I would come home to a disaster if I didn't. My skimmer is very stable and I usually empty the cup the day before I leave. I skim dry so my cup is not usually full when I return.

dylana407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not feed fish for that long? Even with automatic pellet feeder
Because my skimmer is off and sometimes automatic feeder feeds too much. In an established tank, there is enough algae, pods and other fauna for them to forage. I just got back from a 12 days trip to Alaska. My pig of a fish, the PBT is still as fat as when I left it...lol.

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you check on the health of your tank several days in advance so you have time to safely correct if needed. For feeding, I bought a couple 7 day pill boxes from CVS. I put flake food in it. Very simple way to help someone feed properly while you are away.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Cam is a good idea. My LFS has a maintenance service. I prefer to do it myself but they will check on it when I am away. That reminds me of another tip. Have a professional who can respond to emergencies while you are gone. I had a leak once when I was on vaca and they saved the day. I leave a call list next to the tank - 1) me 2) wife 3) local reefer friend 4) LFS. I also have instructions for what to do in a power outage.

JustAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave it to a maintenance service who comes in while I’m away tops up reservoir and does a small water change. Best $50 I spend in my tank. I leave for vacay worry free.

amazongb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you check on the health of your tank several days in advance so you have time to safely correct if needed. For feeding, I bought a couple 7 day pill boxes from CVS. I put flake food in it. Very simple way to help someone feed properly while you are away.

That’s a great idea, thanks for the tip!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back