Valentini puffer and corals?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I’ve never kept one personally, I have seen some in soft coral tanks. I’m not sure if they’d munch on the skeleton of the LPS corals. @HotRocks or @4FordFamily may know as they keep many types of puffers.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have never had a puffer in a tank with coral of any type. @4FordFamily probably has though because he loves to bend the rules ;)
I’ve never tried that, though I tried a dogface with mushrooms and it did not end well.

Many keep Valentini with coral but some get burned for it. :/

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had issues in my two years with one. I hear about it every once and awhile, and I hear about the blue spot puffers eating coral somewhat frequently. I think it's a bit like blennies where from time to time one will go after a coral. And it gets obfuscated because the big sites don't differentiate between coral safe and snail/crab safe.

OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have never had a puffer in a tank with coral of any type. @4FordFamily probably has though because he loves to bend the rules ;)
Ya this tank’s theme is gonna be a kinda bend the rules tank. Filtration is really only a aquamax hob 1.5 skimmer, and maybe a hob filter along with water changes. I am also attempting to keep a coral beauty with corals also in the same tank

OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had issues in my two years with one. I hear about it every once and awhile, and I hear about the blue spot puffers eating coral somewhat frequently. I think it's a bit like blennies where from time to time one will go after a coral. And it gets obfuscated because the big sites don't differentiate between coral safe and snail/crab safe.
Thanks for letting me know your experience

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya this tank’s theme is gonna be a kinda bend the rules tank. Filtration is really only a aquamax hob 1.5 skimmer, and maybe a hob filter along with water changes. I am also attempting to keep a coral beauty with corals also in the same tank
The coral beauty probably won’t be an issue. I keep a regal, potters, and flame all in a LPS/softie tank.

Anything is possible though...

Goomba_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've caught my Coral Beauty nipping on my zoas, frogspawn and acan. Though it's not constant. Just here and there. He might have to go soon.

Funny thing though is my friend has a Valentini and it is a model citizen.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a valentini puffer and he was a model citizen. Never nipped at acans, duncans, zoas or palys. He ate frozen well and was a great fish to watch. He jumped during a cleaning and died unfortunately. So I bought another from my LFS. I was watching him the same day I put him in and he started eating my duncans like they were nori. The LFS took him back the next day.

FWIW my pygmy filefish pair does not bother any of my coral.

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Philipgonzales3
Suggestions or experiences here?

My Valenti puffer was given the boot after nipping at my Scoly. I can't remember else he was nipping at but he was definetly a nipper. He was really cool but wasn't worth the hassle of him nipping at my coral. I think he also nipped at my Blasto.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a valentini and blue spotted puffer (on 2 separate occasions) with sps and euphyllia. They never bothered anything, but ymmv.

OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a valentini and blue spotted puffer (on 2 separate occasions) with sps and euphyllia. They never bothered anything, but ymmv.
Pulled the trigger on a blue spot recently. Is in quarantine right now so I can not say for sure how he is going to do. I also got a coral beauty so it’s gonna be a tad risky

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Valentini, it can be hit or miss for sps, never went after the birdsnest but anything else sps he did. He does fine with most soft and lps (except Favias and acans).

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back