Vanishing fish

Mick51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For quite a while now I’ve arrived to place new fish in 1 of my tanks, the tank is a 75 gal with LPS in the tank is 1 hippo tang ,1 yellow tang , 1 flame angel, 1 small purple dotty back,engineer goby, coral banded shrimp 1 serpent star,all have been in together for years problem is anything I put in disappear chromis firefish Cardinals ect . I can’t figure out where they go no jumpers no remains nothing was wondering in this tank is a bubble coral about the size of a basketball maybe a bit bigger when fully open, do bubble coral eat fish? Don’t want to add any more fish until I figure this out . Any ideas anyone?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do the new fish last when being put in?

Purple duttybacks can ne pretty aggressive toward peaceful fish?

What kind of serpent star? Green serpent stars can hunt fish.

OP
OP
Mick51

Mick51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Start

Fish vanish within days the dotty has been in for years and I don’t suspect him and the Star is a small serpent not the green brittle whom I know are hunters, never any remains and I do look and the fish and not tiny

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dying fish will often wedge themselves into the rocks. They get 'reduced' surprisingly quickly.

OP
OP
Mick51

Mick51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 or 2 maybe but I put 6 green chromis in with the 2 that were already in 4 days later, I have 4 this has happened before with any fish put in 3 firefish couple days later 0 other tanks do not share this problem

lariat8099

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a green serpent star that was a hunter. PULL HIM OUT SAVE YOUR FISH...

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aggressive behavior from the tangs, angel, and dottyback may well be stressing new, small fish to the point of dying pretty quickly. Once dead, in a mature reef, they're going to be consumed faster than you might believe. Bristle worms, stars, snails, along with that coral banded shrimp are going to make quick work out of a dead fish. In a mature reef tank, you'll rarely find remains of a small fish that passed. Just gone too quick.

I wouldn't suspect the bubble coral. Possible, I suppose, but I've never seen one bother healthy fish. You didn't mention an anemone... I'm assuming you don't have a big carpet nem among those LPS :)

OP
OP
Mick51

Mick51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aggressive behavior from the tangs, angel, and dottyback may well be stressing new, small fish to the point of dying pretty quickly. Once dead, in a mature reef, they're going to be consumed faster than you might believe. Bristle worms, stars, snails, along with that coral banded shrimp are going to make quick work out of a dead fish. In a mature reef tank, you'll rarely find remains of a small fish that passed. Just gone too quick.

I wouldn't suspect the bubble coral. Possible, I suppose, but I've never seen one bother healthy fish. You didn't mention an anemone... I'm assuming you don't have a big carpet nem among those LPS :)

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cats perhaps? I know I’ve lost 2 or 3 due to couch surfing and the cats took care of the rest

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Coral Banded Shrimp is going to be where my money is at. At night, when all the fish bunkered down, they take their pickings. I have had 3 of them and all but 1 hunted small fish during the darkness. This is why I no longer keep CBS.

-Zack

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back