VarioS controller lights - FS status always on?

98dak83cam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a used, but new to me skimmer that came with a varioS-6 pump and VarioS controller. The pump will not run - here is what I have - green light on the power supply, can turn float switch on/off. However - the FS status light is always lit orange. After turning the controller on, I'll get a flashing red light on the 15/60 minute delay.

The skimmer did not come with a float switch, but I did just order one. My question is - why is the FS status light always orange even when I turn the FS off? Shouldn't the FS status light go out? I'm hoping with plugging a switch in that it solves the problem. Any ideas?

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can shut the switch to off by pushing the FS button. You should see the indicator go from green to nothing. My guess is something is stuck in the impeller. Have you taken the pump apart and inspected it for any signs of debris, buildup or damage?

OP
OP

98dak83cam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can shut the switch to off by pushing the FS button. You should see the indicator go from green to nothing. My guess is something is stuck in the impeller. Have you taken the pump apart and inspected it for any signs of debris, buildup or damage?
Thanks for the quick reply. You are correct, when I press the FS button the FS light does turn on and off. The issue is the FS status light is always red/orange, no matter what. I did just now take apart the pump and checked the impeller. It does spin, but how free should it spin? It does not free spin like a wheel with ball bearing would ( if that makes sense)

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red light on the float led is normal and indicates that there is no float attached to the controller. The impeller should be rotated freely and smoothly. You need to make sure the bushing is firmly pushed into the backplate behind the impeller and that plate is fully and evenly pushed into the pump. Sometimes if the impeller plate or bushing comes out of line (possibly from shipping) could cause the safety shut down of the controller.

OP
OP

98dak83cam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I see on the red light. That makes sense now that I know. I looked up a video of someone else spinning the impeller, mine is definitely dragging so it is in a 50/50 water and vinegar bath. How long should I soak for and do I only soak the impeller? Does anything need to be cleaned in the pump body?

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soak the impeller for several hours as well as a small amount in the cavity of the pump so that the back bushing and cooling loop is free of any buildup. That should do it.

daniel_mourra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the same problem with my skimmer pump…. but i only have apple cider vinegar (no white vinegar)… is it the same?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back