OP
OP
Christopher Poore

Christopher Poore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen anyone build on Red Sea Reefer that include changing the original piping inside the overflow box. Which Reefer you have? I think if you change all the piping including the ones inside the overflow box to 1" you will end up with too strong of flow, IMO. I think it will be more complicated too. Anyway, it is your call and you can decide how much work and risk you are willing to undertake. I am not sure how that will play out. Also, you may end up voiding the warranty. By changing only the piping below the tank, you can always convert it back to the original if you wish to.

Like I said, most of the builds on forums that I have seen, they didn't touch the piping inside the overflow box.

Good luck and looking forward to see your tank.

This screenshot is attached from this person reefer build:

This is the return neck that I'm speaking about. No so much the plumbing that leads up to it, just the 90degree here is 5/8 on my tank (which is a XL200)

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 11.42.09 AM.png

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of months ago I set up a Reefer Peninsula 500 (105g DT and 35g sump) and am running a Vectra M2. I thought through the same calculus that you are currently contemplating and ultimately decided to stick with the Reefer system, which is a 3/4" input for my tank. So I restricted it to 3/4" out of the M2. I will tell you that the 3/4" piping allows for a TON of return flow with zero backflow--even though it's not the full 1".

If you tank works like mine, you can change out the tank barb to a larger fitting--i.e., 3/4" in your case--but the Reefer tubing itself might restrict it back to 5/8", so you would not be accomplishing much.

OP
OP
Christopher Poore

Christopher Poore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of months ago I set up a Reefer Peninsula 500 (105g DT and 35g sump) and am running a Vectra M2. I thought through the same calculus that you are currently contemplating and ultimately decided to stick with the Reefer system, which is a 3/4" input for my tank. So I restricted it to 3/4" out of the M2. I will tell you that the 3/4" piping allows for a TON of return flow with zero backflow--even though it's not the full 1".

If you tank works like mine, you can change out the tank barb to a larger fitting--i.e., 3/4" in your case--but the Reefer tubing itself might restrict it back to 5/8", so you would not be accomplishing much.

This is the baffling piece. I wonder if there is a direct replacement I can use from a different red sea.

I'd love to get at least 3/4 out of the entire return (that was my original direction as I already have the barb), but now looking at the restriction right before the nozzle it just adds pieces to the puzzle.

IMG_6026.JPG

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That tubing at the top is the big restrictor, it is like 1/2" pipe. Just replace it with a 3/4" 90 deg FPTxFPT then couple to the output with a custom cut 3/4" MPT x1/2" reducer. ~$2-3 in parts. and fully reversible.

Looks like Red sea sells 2 sizes... but from the picture I am guessing the return pipe is a different size also:

Small:

Large:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Christopher Poore

Christopher Poore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tubing at the top is the big restrictor, it is like 1/2" pipe. Just replace it with a 3/4" 90 deg FPTxFPT then couple to the output with a custom cut 3/4" MPT x1/2" reducer. ~$2-3 in parts. and fully reversible.

Looks like Red sea sells 2 sizes... but from the picture I am guessing the return pipe is a different size also:

Small:

Large:

Will that custom setup directly connect to these two pieces?

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 12.34.51 PM.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Christopher Poore

Christopher Poore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Small:

Large:

Interesting. I wonder if this larger red sea one would be a direct replacement.

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea has incredible customer service. I would call them first thing Monday at (888) 733-7329 and ask them directly. And you can send a technical question on their web-site and they will respond within 24 hours (weekdays).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back