Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum)

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to derail the conversation, but how often can I fresh water dip my tang?

I did one last night before dosing cupramine, copper reading today looks to be about .2 via API. I know what everyone say about cupramine and API test. But I'm looking at the vial top down and raised above the color chart. I have salifert copper test coming in, should be here tomorrow or Thursday. But my tang is looking worst today, he is covered and is not eating or very active. My guess is, he may not make it through the night if I don't try something fast.

Here he is yesterday during the fw dip. The spots showed up pretty much overnight.

CVNlQ2O.jpg

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also these are the meds I have on hand

Paraguard
Cupramine
Furan 2
General cure

I'm considering putting an order on amazon prime for Ruby Reef Rally. Anything else I should be considering?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to derail the conversation, but how often can I fresh water dip my tang?

IME; the fish needs to be allowed to recuperate for at least 48 hrs in-between FW dips. I've had bad experiences doing them every 24 hrs.

Are you performing an acriflavine or formalin bath following the FW dip? That helps a lot.

Also these are the meds I have on hand

Paraguard
Cupramine
Furan 2
General cure

I'm considering putting an order on amazon prime for Ruby Reef Rally. Anything else I should be considering?

Kanaplex, Metroplex, Prazipro, Formalin-MS

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ditch paraguard.. I used it before and it didnt do anything.. It more or less masked the symptoms for a bit but nothing more.

I have kanaplex on hand, as well as prazi, and I'm getting CP shipped out today.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME; the fish needs to be allowed to recuperate for at least 48 hrs in-between FW dips. I've had bad experiences doing them every 24 hrs.

Are you performing an acriflavine or formalin bath following the FW dip? That helps a lot.

Kanaplex, Metroplex, Prazipro, Formalin-MS

It's just fw dip for 5mins.
Where can I get Acriflavine?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inserted this video of a Moorish Idol with velvet at the end of the sticky:

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet likes light. As a dinoflagellate, velvet tomonts and dinospores are both capable of using photosynthesis as a means of obtaining energy. So when a dinospore ruptures from its cyst, it propels upward (towards the light) by using whip-like appendages for locomotion. Therefore, top swimming fish are probably more at risk than bottom dwellers. I highly suggest not using an aquarium light during treatment and also when running fallow for velvet (if possible in a fish only system).

I got all my fish out of the DT and I am going to leave it fallow for 76 days. I had a velvet outbreak, but I want to make sure there is nothing left after this ordeal. So I cannot leave the lights on? I was going to let the algae grow to absorb any nutrients in the water and the light would help with that.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got all my fish out of the DT and I am going to leave it fallow for 76 days. I had a velvet outbreak, but I want to make sure there is nothing left after this ordeal. So I cannot leave the lights on? I was going to let the algae grow to absorb any nutrients in the water and the light would help with that.

Leaving the lights on only extends the lifecycle to 6 weeks max. So, if you are going fallow for 76 days it's all good. :)

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So where are people getting their CP? I'm in the US, Texas specifically, and I would like to get my "medicine cabinet" put together prior to actually needing it... and CP sounds like something I would prefer (over Copper) for Velvet.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So where are people getting their CP? I'm in the US, Texas specifically, and I would like to get my "medicine cabinet" put together prior to actually needing it... and CP sounds like something I would prefer (over Copper) for Velvet.

To get proper CP, you'll need to get a prescription from a vet. The best thing you can do is print out the research documents on it and let them read it over. Tell them what you are using it for (QT of fish) and IF they write the scrip have it filled at diamondback online.

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To get proper CP, you'll need to get a prescription from a vet. The best thing you can do is print out the research documents on it and let them read it over. Tell them what you are using it for (QT of fish) and IF they write the scrip have it filled at diamondback online.
Since I am in Fort Worth, I assume I'm in driving distance of whatever Vet you have used for this (if any)... I noticed you are in the Dallas area. Have you done this? Would you mind sharing which Vet you use if so? :)

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't get a script. I called 7 vets, one would make a house call in 2 weeks fora$400. With velvet you can't wait hours let alone weeks.

I ordered from National Fish Pharmaceuticals. I got 100g. It worked out well for me.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I am in Fort Worth, I assume I'm in driving distance of whatever Vet you have used for this (if any)... I noticed you are in the Dallas area. Have you done this? Would you mind sharing which Vet you use if so? :)

I have yet to find one that will do it for me. There was somebody in North Dallas that said they had a vet that was willing to write the scrip, but I wasn't ready to get any at the time and I forget who it was that offered.

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yet to find one that will do it for me. There was somebody in North Dallas that said they had a vet that was willing to write the scrip, but I wasn't ready to get any at the time and I forget who it was that offered.
Maybe I should have a "mid-life crisis" and switch career paths... lol. I can write all of our scrips.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'll check them out.
Like everyone else said, vet script is the way to go but it is easier said than done. In sue happy Massachusetts no one wants to write a script without seeing the patient. I asked my dogs vet (who I "donate" a pile of money to for 3 dogs and 2 cats) and they told me no. I'm still not really sure why it's controlled anyway. You can't get high off it, or can you [emoji41]

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a dwarf flame angel from the LFS on Monday, going through TTM currently scheduled for tank transfer #1 tomorrow. Noticed he's having trouble and listing in the piece of PVC this evening.

Now I kept a close eye on this fish for close to 20 minutes at the LFS, and visibly it looked clean on Monday when in the initial transfer tank. Getting out the lighted magnifying glass and I can see quite a few specs, which given the speed I will assume is velvet. No problem, I know how to treat that, but there's a catch. A FW dip for some pre-copper relief has also shown signs of flukes..

flukes.jpg

What's the best way to treat both the V and flukes? Prazi during copper use, or just continue to FW dip every 4 days or so to keep the flukes at bay till 14 days of copper is up then I can put him in another clean QT tank and prazi that?

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't seem to edit, but he's dead Jim. Still interested to see what the best course of action would have been (no CP available).

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back