Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum)

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a follow up to that study. Very interesting results, but it does show that there is still some infection after the 2nd bath.
http://pubs.sciepub.com/marine/5/1/3/index.html

Unfortunately, they didn't do any tests at 30 or 60 days out to see if the detected infestation was viable. Just not enough info.

Thanks for this article. Less glowing results than Montgomery-Brock, but still showed decreases in trophonts from H2O2. What was troubling to me was that even at 100 ppm and 200 ppm, they still found trophonts. They even occasionally found tomonts in the gills and skin. Not sure what to make of this.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this article. Less glowing results than Montgomery-Brock, but still showed decreases in trophonts from H2O2. What was troubling to me was that even at 100 ppm and 200 ppm, they still found trophonts. They even occasionally found tomonts in the gills and skin. Not sure what to make of this.
But finding tomonts does not mean they found viable tomonts. We just don't know.

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will TTM 1 day interval work for velvet, provided tanks/equipment will be cleaned and dried?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will TTM 1 day interval work for velvet, provided tanks/equipment will be cleaned and dried?
If I recall correctly, 8 transfers over 8 days should work for velvet. you could then do a transfer at day 10 and day 13 to account for Ich.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Using TTM to treat velvet is still just theoretical. However, I'm reasonably confident this will work:

Day 1 - fish in tank
Day 2 - 1st transfer at 36 hours
Day 4 - 2nd transfer at 36 hours
Day 5 - 3rd transfer at 36 hours
Day 7 - 4th transfer at 36 hours
Day 10 - 5th transfer at 71 hours
Day 13 - 6th transfer at 71 hours

That protocol should eliminate both ich & velvet.

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using TTM to treat velvet is still just theoretical. However, I'm reasonably confident this will work:

Day 1 - fish in tank
Day 2 - 1st transfer at 36 hours
Day 4 - 2nd transfer at 36 hours
Day 5 - 3rd transfer at 36 hours
Day 7 - 4th transfer at 36 hours
Day 10 - 5th transfer at 71 hours
Day 13 - 6th transfer at 71 hours

That protocol should eliminate both ich & velvet.

I'm just curious why you think 36 hours between each transfer?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just curious why you think 36 hours between each transfer?
The shortest documented life cycle information shows they can drop off the fish in 12 hours. I believe the shortest document time for them to hatch is 36 hours. By transferring at 36 hours you stay ahead of the cycle by around 12 hours with margin for error. Anything faster gives you more margin.

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shortest documented life cycle information shows they can drop off the fish in 12 hours. I believe the shortest document time for them to hatch is 36 hours. By transferring at 36 hours you stay ahead of the cycle by around 12 hours with margin for error. Anything faster gives you more margin.
Thank you for clarifying! Do you think the stress of being moved between tanks in that short amount of time is greater/less than being exposed to therapeutic-level of copper (no CP) within 24-48 hrs? To be more specific, I'm talking about 2 clowns showing heavy breathing, lethargic, occasional erratic swimming, loss of appetite.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for clarifying! Do you think the stress of being moved between tanks in that short amount of time is greater/less than being exposed to therapeutic-level of copper (no CP) within 24-48 hrs? To be more specific, I'm talking about 2 clowns showing heavy breathing, lethargic, occasional erratic swimming, loss of appetite.
I think clowns are easy to use in copper and that is less stressful on me. In my opinion they are one of the easiest fish to QT.

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think clowns are easy to use in copper and that is less stressful on me. In my opinion they are one of the easiest fish to QT.
Okay I'll give them one more try with coppersafe. Thank you!

Gsxrfl1k6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, need some help in diagnosis. So, this all started a couple of weeks ago when I noticed a spot on my Swallowtail's pectoral fin. I freaked out because I went through a disease outbreak when I first started over 5 years ago and had since rid my display tank of any disease. I recently transferred from a 90 gallon to a reefer 750 xxxl, which has a display of 160 gallons. I transferred everything over from my 90 with exception of sand which was all new "live" sand. I had wanted to do dry, but no LFS carried it. Around the same time, I also added a couple of corals that were not quarantined, but were dipped in Seachem reef dip, and a brief freshwater dip before being put in my display. I also scrubbed the base of the plugs and rinsed. I know it's technically possible to bring something in on coral frags, but what about live sand with water in it? I'm assuming that has been sterilized first and then water and bacteria added artificially.

Anyway, back to my issue. I watched my swallowtail for about a week and noticed the spot remained. it never fell off and didn't multiply. So, i thought maybe flukes. Luckily, I was able to capture her and freshwater dipped her to see if anything fell off. I couldn't see anything that looked like what I've seen in the pics when you dip a fish with flukes. There were a couple of small white specs, but I'm pretty sure it was just sand--they were hard. So after the dip returned fish to the tank and 2 weeks later the spot is still there. Lypho maybe? What's really concerning me is that my hippo tang is swimming in the flow from my gyres. Not constantly, but will swim around and then come back and hang out in the flow for a few seconds and repeat this over and over. I know this is a tell-tale sign of velvet. But, I've tried very hard to spot anything out of the ordinary on everyone's skin, and other than the swallowtail, can't find anything. This behavior has been going on for about 5 days. Everyone is still eating and no deaths. I've seen my midas blenny scratch on the rocks a couple of times. But that's not totally out of the ordinary every once and a while.

Is it possible to be velvet given the timeline and the lack of fish deaths? Gill flukes maybe? I don't see any outward signs of disease other than the behavior of the 2 fish mentioned. Thanks for any help.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, need some help in diagnosis. So, this all started a couple of weeks ago when I noticed a spot on my Swallowtail's pectoral fin. I freaked out because I went through a disease outbreak when I first started over 5 years ago and had since rid my display tank of any disease. I recently transferred from a 90 gallon to a reefer 750 xxxl, which has a display of 160 gallons. I transferred everything over from my 90 with exception of sand which was all new "live" sand. I had wanted to do dry, but no LFS carried it. Around the same time, I also added a couple of corals that were not quarantined, but were dipped in Seachem reef dip, and a brief freshwater dip before being put in my display. I also scrubbed the base of the plugs and rinsed. I know it's technically possible to bring something in on coral frags, but what about live sand with water in it? I'm assuming that has been sterilized first and then water and bacteria added artificially.

Anyway, back to my issue. I watched my swallowtail for about a week and noticed the spot remained. it never fell off and didn't multiply. So, i thought maybe flukes. Luckily, I was able to capture her and freshwater dipped her to see if anything fell off. I couldn't see anything that looked like what I've seen in the pics when you dip a fish with flukes. There were a couple of small white specs, but I'm pretty sure it was just sand--they were hard. So after the dip returned fish to the tank and 2 weeks later the spot is still there. Lypho maybe? What's really concerning me is that my hippo tang is swimming in the flow from my gyres. Not constantly, but will swim around and then come back and hang out in the flow for a few seconds and repeat this over and over. I know this is a tell-tale sign of velvet. But, I've tried very hard to spot anything out of the ordinary on everyone's skin, and other than the swallowtail, can't find anything. This behavior has been going on for about 5 days. Everyone is still eating and no deaths. I've seen my midas blenny scratch on the rocks a couple of times. But that's not totally out of the ordinary every once and a while.

Is it possible to be velvet given the timeline and the lack of fish deaths? Gill flukes maybe? I don't see any outward signs of disease other than the behavior of the 2 fish mentioned. Thanks for any help.

Can you post a pic of the spots? It sounds as if you have some symptoms that point to Velvet. The other problem with velvet, a lot of the time, by the time the fish is covered with the spots from parasite insertion points, its too late.

Gsxrfl1k6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a pic of the spots? It sounds as if you have some symptoms that point to Velvet. The other problem with velvet, a lot of the time, by the time the fish is covered with the spots from parasite insertion points, its too late.
I will try to take a pic when I get home. Velvet was my thought too, but there is literally only one spot on the angel's pectoral fin that has not changed in 2 weeks. And no one has died or stopped eating. That's what kind of confuses me. There are literally no other spots or signs on anyone else.

Last edited:

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try to take a pic when I get home. Velvet was my thought too, but there is literally only one spot on the angel's pectoral fin that has not changed in 2 weeks. And no one has died or stopped eating. That's what kind of confuses me. There are literally no other spots or signs on anyone else.
As mentioned post the pic but how large is the spot? Velvet appears rather small while Ich and particularly Lympho will be larger.

Gsxrfl1k6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned post the pic but how large is the spot? Velvet appears rather small while Ich and particularly Lympho will be larger.
It's pretty big and easily discernable on a moving fish at a distance. If it is velvet wouldn't it have fallen off in a few days?

Gsxrfl1k6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best I could do. But you can clearly see the spot.

20180409_173234.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much better, but here it is. She doesn't like the camera

20180409_175047.jpg

That is most likely lympho. Some of the symptoms you mentioned do sound like velvet.... especially the swimming into the flow over and over again. There are some strains of velvet that don't show outward symptoms until it's much too late. You have to pay close attention to the behavioral symptoms and make a judgement call.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back