received_419474518925533.jpeg
received_419474518925533.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that fish is in your DT tank it is bad news. It does not matter if its ich or velvet. You need to treat it in a QT tank somehow and let your DT tank go fallow for 76 days.

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed with that being ich. Humble fish has a great write up in the fish disease section

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the answer to your question is... "yes". Velvet is certainly more deadly than ich. But even if that is ich, it is not just a spot here or there. I would assume velvet, because the treatment protocol is the same. Read up on ich/velvet treatment and fallow periods in the disease forum. Of course, if you become confident that it is only ich, and you can tolerate occasional outbreaks like this, you can opt for "ich management" where you try to lessen the severity of outbreaks. But there is no way to eliminate ich or velvet from your DT through "management".

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rule I have seen for identifying ich/velvet, if you can individually count the spots then it is ich. If it looks like a dusting on the fish that you cannot count with your naked eye then it is velvet. In this case you can see the individual spots so I would go with ich. Just because a fish has one does not mean they are void of the other. So it could be ich and velvet. Either way I treat all parasites, some prefer to just manage.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back