Is this ich or velvet?

XxAlex_OhxX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im concerned. This is the purple tang that i plan on getting money back but i cant return it now lookin like this. Is this ich, velvet or both? If so i need to know my fastest treatment option ASAP.

20240102_042533.jpg 20240102_042511.jpg 20240102_042422.jpg 20240102_042356.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im concerned. This is the purple tang that i plan on getting money back but i cant return it now lookin like this. Is this ich, velvet or both? If so i need to know my fastest treatment option ASAP.

20240102_042533.jpg 20240102_042511.jpg 20240102_042422.jpg 20240102_042356.jpg
That is a severe case of marine ich, Cryptocaryon. Velvet would not have spots like this and the fish would be breathing really fast.

Treatment for this cannot be done if invertebrates are present. Hyposalinity works in tanks with calcareous gravel like I see in the photo. In a bare hospital tank, coppersafe is a better option.

In this case, all fish exposed to the tang are going to need to be treated as well.

Jay

OP
OP
XxAlex_OhxX

XxAlex_OhxX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a severe case of marine ich, Cryptocaryon. Velvet would not have spots like this and the fish would be breathing really fast.

Treatment for this cannot be done if invertebrates are present. Hyposalinity works in tanks with calcareous gravel like I see in the photo. In a bare hospital tank, coppersafe is a better option.

In this case, all fish exposed to the tang are going to need to be treated as well.

Jay
Yeah i also have an anemone and 3 snails in this tank

OP
OP
XxAlex_OhxX

XxAlex_OhxX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
What other medication than coppersafe are also most effective and what are good remedies for temporary relief? I only got ich x and have some brightwell cuprion i have yet to find. Ich x isnt really that reliable i heard however

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich X is just malachite green and formaldehyde. It may work okay for freshwater ich.

I would treat immediately for ich using Copper Power or Coppersafe or Hyposalinity.

To me, that fish is valuable and snails and an anemone (assuming not a nice carpet) are not. So if I had to immediately hypo the display, I wouldn't hesitate. Copper in a QT would be great too, if you can manage that.

OP
OP
XxAlex_OhxX

XxAlex_OhxX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich X is just malachite green and formaldehyde. It may work okay for freshwater ich.

I would treat immediately for ich using Copper Power or Coppersafe or Hyposalinity.

To me, that fish is valuable and snails and an anemone (assuming not a nice carpet) are not. So if I had to immediately hypo the display, I wouldn't hesitate. Copper in a QT would be great too, if you can manage that.
The anemone is still valuable to me especially. With a QT would i have to do those ungodly large water changes every day?

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other medication than coppersafe are also most effective and what are good remedies for temporary relief? I only got ich x and have some brightwell cuprion i have yet to find. Ich x isnt really that reliable i heard however
Copper is your best bet, though you will need a seperate tank/container to house the fish during treatment.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anemone is still valuable to me especially. With a QT would i have to do those ungodly large water changes every day?
No. With the tang being as small as it is, a simple 5 or 10 gallon "starter kit" would be fine.

I've currently got 6 fish in a 10 gallon undergoing treatment with Coppersafe. I used Fritz Turbo Start and a couple small chunks of rock from my display (not going back into the DT after I'm done) and I had to do 2-3 gallon water changes every day to control ammonia for the first week or so. Now that the biological filtration has started to be able to keep up with ammonia, I've been able to cut that back to about twice a week now.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anemone is still valuable to me especially.
What kind of anemone? A possibility would be to move the inverts to a new tank, then treat the display with hypo.
With a QT would i have to do those ungodly large water changes every day?
If the tank isn't cycled, and you can't move over some filter media, then ammonia is a concern. It won't be daily water changes, but you'll have to monitor and change water as needed. There is also bottled bacteria that can help, but that's not my specialty.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nothing really will work against a moderate/heavy infection ofich that is also safe for your anemone and snails. Best to remove those to another tank for 60 days, and run hyposalinity in your main tank with just fish in it.

Jay

OP
OP
XxAlex_OhxX

XxAlex_OhxX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing really will work against a moderate/heavy infection ofich that is also safe for your anemone and snails. Best to remove those to another tank for 60 days, and run hyposalinity in your main tank with just fish in it.

Jay
So just follow the traditional 60-70 day fallow period then?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%

Back