OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, let me throw this info out there. This is a picture of my first clown a few months back when it had velvet.
2FB465E9-C4A6-4A23-8B9B-379D47965622.jpeg
It died a few days after this pic. Either I am not dealing with velvet, or I have caught it early enough where I can treat them. These clowns do not have a dusting on their fins, and it is a bit more difficult to spot without getting very close up. It could potentially be brook. I will try treating a general method to cover both bases, and hope whatever they have goes away. Then I’ll go fallow (again) for six weeks.

It’s funny because I was going to order a goby to go into the QT, as the clowns looked very good in the DT, and I’m now very glad I did not.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They seem to be doing a lot better in QT. They’re calmer, no longer flashing, and breathing is much less labored. I think that the FW dip helped with the mucous clogging their gills.
No Flashing and breathing are key to recovery, Glad to hear of good start

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Also, let me throw this info out there. This is a picture of my first clown a few months back when it had velvet.
2FB465E9-C4A6-4A23-8B9B-379D47965622.jpeg
It died a few days after this pic. Either I am not dealing with velvet, or I have caught it early enough where I can treat them. These clowns do not have a dusting on their fins, and it is a bit more difficult to spot without getting very close up. It could potentially be brook. I will try treating a general method to cover both bases, and hope whatever they have goes away. Then I’ll go fallow (again) for six weeks.

It’s funny because I was going to order a goby to go into the QT, as the clowns looked very good in the DT, and I’m now very glad I did not.
Now this looks like velvet

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea how you went fallow. Properly qt the fish and this happened? And you were trying to give me advice on what to do and my program is flawless. Sorry to hear

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Even if an LFS has a separate system for captive bred, I would still quarantine at home. It’s just too easy for an employee to put the wrong net in the tank or do any number of other things to contaminate the system.

Find a protocol you like and do it at home for every single addition, even if your mom gives it to you and she says she’s never had disease in her tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

There are a lot of people weighing in and trying to help here, but with some of it conflicting advice, that can be very difficult for anyone to wade through it all. I think we should let the OP digest all this for a bit. Then, perhaps start a second thread with their elected course of action, and try to assist from there.
Jay

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ve formulated a plan involving what I currently have in terms of meds. I will likely continue a few FW dips until the breathing becomes normal. During this, I will raise the copper to 0.5 ppm, and will begin 30 minute malachite green baths. It’s not a perfect treatment, but it should work. These clowns seem to be quite resilient so far, so will hopefully pull through. I only wish they showed a bit more symptoms before today. I am confident with everyone’s helpful advice I will create a good plan and get these fishies back on track!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ve formulated a plan involving what I currently have in terms of meds. I will likely continue a few FW dips until the breathing becomes normal. During this, I will raise the copper to 0.5 ppm, and will begin 30 minute malachite green baths. It’s not a perfect treatment, but it should work. These clowns seem to be quite resilient so far, so will hopefully pull through. I only wish they showed a bit more symptoms before today. I am confident with everyone’s helpful advice I will create a good plan and get these fishies back on track!
Don’t delay in getting the copper ramped up, I see too many people lose fish because they took days to ease the copper. Malachite green can be tricky to use as a dip. 5 ppm for one hour is prett standard, but most home medications don’t give their concentration. Do you have solid instructions for the dip? If not, what about just continuing with FW dips?
Jay

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t delay in getting the copper ramped up, I see too many people lose fish because they took days to ease the copper. Malachite green can be tricky to use as a dip. 5 ppm for one hour is prett standard, but most home medications don’t give their concentration. Do you have solid instructions for the dip? If not, what about just continuing with FW dips?
Jay
I could always continue with the FW dips, as I don’t know the concentration of the malachite green in the API med. I’ll ramp up the copper quickly too if I should act faster.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I'm hard on you is because you spent I dunno how long arguing with people giving you advice while your fish waited to die, and die they did. And you've had quite a bit of few issues, the rest it either just happens or is a learning experience. But I deeply dislike people who ask for help, and then try to tell the person/people how they are wrong.

That's why I'm hard on you in particular. But I will let it go. I've fought with brook and ich, never velvet..luckily. But I know velvet is copper. Also, I would very very seldom trust a place to QT. Alot of LFS just put their fish in enough copper to suppress sickness. If I skip QT, I do it with the thought I might lose some expensive fish...including a 500 dollar hawkfish..

Not really my place to be hard on you though, you're a big boy. You do what you like, listen or not listen. You've already seen what can happen when things go wrong. Hopefully everything stops going wrong and it starts going right.

Not sure how you went fallow nor your QT process. It's possible the LFS only supressed the brook/velvet and you did the same without knowing.

I've def fought brook..it's a pain.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I'm hard on you is because you spent I dunno how long arguing with people giving you advice while your fish waited to die, and die they did. And you've had quite a bit of few issues, the rest it either just happens or is a learning experience. But I deeply dislike people who ask for help, and then try to tell the person/people how they are wrong.

That's why I'm hard on you in particular. But I will let it go. I've fought with brook and ich, never velvet..luckily. But I know velvet is copper. Also, I would very very seldom trust a place to QT. Alot of LFS just put their fish in enough copper to suppress sickness. If I skip QT, I do it with the thought I might lose some expensive fish...including a 500 dollar hawkfish..

Not really my place to be hard on you though, you're a big boy. You do what you like, listen or not listen. You've already seen what can happen when things go wrong. Hopefully everything stops going wrong and it starts going right.

Not sure how you went fallow nor your QT process. It's possible the LFS only supressed the brook/velvet and you did the same without knowing.

I've def fought brook..it's a pain.
I don’t think any of you are wrong. I certainly think that you all know more than me. Heck, I’m surprised that my corals are alive, I feel like I know nothing about them! That’s why I love Reef2Reef, because I can always count on all of you to give the right advice and offer excellent experience! I’m sorry if anything I said would indicate otherwise. :)

I think I know what you’re talking about—back with my first velvet/ich outbreak, and I was given advice. I don’t recall ever calling anyone wrong. It would certainly not be my place—I was only a reefer for like three weeks at that time. I think I was only questioning advice because I wanted to be hopeful. I was really just fooling myself.

Let me say this much though—I read through that old thread about ich, and I actually laughed at myself multiple times. I was SO ignorant! It almost seemed like I didn’t want to accept the truth of that outbreak. You and many others were absolutely right, and I didn’t even realize it at the time!! I suppose I’ve learned a lot of Reef2Reef since then. I’ve definitely grown into a responsible reefer because of this site.

In short, I’d hate to think we’ve gotten off on the wrong foot. I like to listen to all advice, and am more than thankful for it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning, the mocha clown looks pretty good but things look a little too late for poor Nemo. He’s still swimming and eating but his overall condition looks worse. I’m starting to think it’s brook based on the patterning of the dusting, and if that’s the case I’ll have to formulate a new plan because copper probably won’t work.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each dose of API super ich cure contains 3.6 mg Malachite Green and 60 mg Nitrofurazone. I understand that malachite green treats both brook and velvet. Would this be the best choice in lieu of copper? Or should I try copper, although it isn’t the best chemical for fighting brook?

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think copper would work for brook. I have a chemical at home for it, but I can't remember what it's called that works for brook.

If I still have it, I'll let you know. I THINK it's prazi pro, but I can't remember.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would API general cure work? I’ve read it contains formalin but I can’t seem to find any in its list of active ingredients.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dug deep into my brain. And remembered watching this. Listen carefully, at some point, he tells you what medicine works for what. Took me a min to find it.

Since I can't remember ( I haven't had to fight disease in a long time) he'll help :)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The lfs claims that they medicate and quarantine all their new fish and corals, and that these clowns are captive bred. I do not know the validity to this. They didn’t show problems in my QT tank, which does make me believe that somehow there was still some velvet after 90 days fallow, and being captive bred, they’ve never been exposed to disease.

Most LFS can’t truly QT or treat fish as they have too many systems and too many hands in one tank and in the next. Especially if they have several employees and not just one person.

The captive bred fish were likely exposed at the LFS. You need to get captive bred directly from the breeder, out of their tanks, if your goal is to get disease free captive bred fish.

Anyways good luck with your treatment. I use hybrid TTM for my new fish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dug deep into my brain. And remembered watching this. Listen carefully, at some point, he tells you what medicine works for what. Took me a min to find it.

Since I can't remember ( I haven't had to fight disease in a long time) he'll help :)

Just finished the whole video. Very helpful. What I’ve gathered tells me that in addition to copper, nitrofurazone would be an effective medication.

@vetteguy53081, would you recommend dosing copper into the QT as well as dosing super ich cure (which contains both malachite green and nitrofurazone, both safe with copper)? Would that be sufficient against brook or velvet? Otherwise I can try general cure. I cannot seem to find much info on it, though. Is general cure a good product for formalin baths?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back