Velvet that only affect clowns?

ggwp1111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 months ago I had an outbreak of marine velvet in my display tank and it killed 2 of my clowns and a blue tang. I did isolate them into a quarantine tank but couldn't treat them in time with copper. The rest of the fishes were just fine (gobies and wrasses). I couldn't treat the display tank due to invertebrates and corals in it. However I noticed that ever since then, every time I introduce the new clown to the tank, it started having velvet. It didn't happen with other fishes. It's just so weird. It's like it only targets the clown as host for some reason. I haven't tried blue tangs.

Anyone has similar experience?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are prone to brook not velvet. Your tank needs to fallow for 76 days and you need to QT incoming fish.

OP
OP
G

ggwp1111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are prone to brook not velvet. Your tank needs to fallow for 76 days and you need to QT incoming fish.
I think you might be right, I looked into brook and the clowns that died did have this slimey thing covered their entire body. Other said Ruby Reef Rally is safe to use for brook and safe for corals, have you had any experience with it?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you might be right, I looked into brook and the clowns that died did have this slimey thing covered their entire body. Other said Ruby Reef Rally is safe to use for brook and safe for corals, have you had any experience with it?
That's not going to help. Fish need to be treated in QT tank with formulin. DT needs to fallow for 76 days.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm in the same boat. I lost 12 clowns but only one remain! The rest is doing ok and eating well.

Understand that Brook is very common in clowns but I didn't see any slimy/white stuff on their body. They just breathe heavily, tried to swim / find quiet corner of the tank, and died in 24-48 hours! I think it's Velvet instead?

I've never had this level of infection before in all my years in this hobby - so it's a first for me. How do you treat velvet? I can't treat the whole tank since I have many corals and inverts. Take out all fish and QT them?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back