OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s 100% velvet. You don’t need an image to know what velvet is. You can spot velvet a mile away. I asked what I could do to relief my fish for now until I can get to the store. I came home very late and my Angel fish was completely covered. She wasn’t in the morning when I fed. I work very long shifts; when I got home she was covered in millions of dots/dust like; definitely velvet. Have you not done reach on the polyp lab? It’s very effective. I assure you my friend would lie of such a thing lol that’s a little silly to even say. Velvet is no joke. Go on YouTube and check out the reviews on poly lab. It’s the next best thing right now

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. Copper and high dose hydrogen peroxide dips are the two methods that have some good background to them. The Polyp Lab Medic is a peroxide salt, so is related to a product shown to work in research, but I worry that the dose is too low so that it will remain safe for invertebrates (I'm not suggesting using it at a higher dose though!). The Paraguard has a poor track record treating marine ich, so I wouldn't expect it to work well on velvet.

Jay
I am doing the hydrogen peroxide. I will keep everyone posted. I ordered the polyp lab, I called around and no one has it. So I’m a good candidate for the hydrogen. Just picked some up. Keep you posted!

edit; I just did my first dose in the main tank and the hospital tank Ruby is in (flame Angel; the one that actually has it)

Last edited:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen it fail a number of times on here. I also know that late ich and velvet will appear similar.
It seems your mind was set when you first posted, however. We are only trying to offer well known and accepted treatments that have saved countless fish. At the end of the day, it’s your tank.

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen it fail a number of times on here. I also know that late ich and velvet will appear similar.
It seems your mind was set when you first posted, however. We are only trying to offer well known and accepted treatments that have saved countless fish. At the end of the day, it’s your tank.
I’m doing the hydrogen peroxide. I just dosed the tank and hospital tank. I know people who had a lot of success with the polyp. Every medication is going to have its pros and cons no matter what u use. It’s just a matter of how aggressive it is. Ive felt with ick before, it doesn’t look the way she looks right now. Ick doesn’t have a dust quality to it and the dots on ick are a lot more prominent and visible

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious how exactly you're implementing hydrogen peroxide.
I know Humblefish Hybrid Tank Transfer Method (HTTM) incorporates two 150 ppm H202 baths for 30 minutes, spaced 6 days apart ... but that's part of a process that also assumes tank transfers into clean tanks every 3 days.

So, just curious what you're planning here...

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thinking each medicine will have its pros and cons is wrong when it comes to velvet. Till someone can find a better way the only real way to get it out of the tank is to let it go fallow long enough then reintroduce your livestock.

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious how exactly you're implementing hydrogen peroxide.
I know Humblefish Hybrid Tank Transfer Method (HTTM) incorporates two 150 ppm H202 baths for 30 minutes, spaced 6 days apart ... but that's part of a process that also assumes tank transfers into clean tanks every 3 days.

So, just curious what you're planning here...
I dosed the main tank: 1mL per 10 gallons is what the math is.

for a bath: 1.25mL per 1 cup - so right now I have the angel fish in the bath for 30 mins. I did 7 cups of salt water (you can use the tank water as long as there is no meds in it, however, I just mixed mine) - make sure you aerate it first before you add the peroxide. For 7 cups of water I added 7.50 of peroxide. She's sitting in it now and let me tell you, the first dose in her hospital tank gave her INSTANT relief. When I left the house for work, I thought she was going to be dead. She went upside down a few times and then was laying on her side for periods of a time. Now, she is SWIMMING AROUND NORMAL! I can't even fathom what is happening as soon as I put the dose in.

After her bath, I will put her back in the hospital tank. I only took her out cause she was the only one that displayed it aggressively. She was covered in dust so bad. The others show zero signs but I dosed the main tank anyway. It says to dose it for 30 days every 12 hours; 4mL for 40 gallons. The coral don't looked stressed, everyone is normal. I am keeping the lights very low in the main tank. The hospital one is completely off. She is swimming around a lot, I can't even believe it. She's still breathing heavy but I hope she pulls through! When you do the bath, just keep an eye for stress. If they seem too stressed, pull them out.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s 100% velvet. You don’t need an image to know what velvet is. You can spot velvet a mile away. I asked what I could do to relief my fish for now until I can get to the store. I came home very late and my Angel fish was completely covered. She wasn’t in the morning when I fed. I work very long shifts; when I got home she was covered in millions of dots/dust like; definitely velvet. Have you not done reach on the polyp lab? It’s very effective. I assure you my friend would lie of such a thing lol that’s a little silly to even say. Velvet is no joke. Go on YouTube and check out the reviews on poly lab. It’s the next best thing right now
Actually, Amyloodinium, what is commonly called velvet is very often misidentified. There are even photos of fish here labeled as having velvet that is clearly advanced Cryptocaryon (marine ich).
Velvet may not show any spots at all - just rapid breathing, not eating and sometimes hovering in water flow. You may also see a sort of glassy eye look. Spots are commonly seen in freshwater velvet, but that is a different disease.
I rarely diagnose velvet by spots alone and a microscopic exam of a gill biopsy is really needed to be certain.

Luckily, copper handles all protozoans except Brooklynella.

Jay

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, Amyloodinium, what is commonly called velvet is very often misidentified. There are even photos of fish here labeled as having velvet that is clearly advanced Cryptocaryon (marine ich).
Velvet may not show any spots at all - just rapid breathing, not eating and sometimes hovering in water flow. You may also see a sort of glassy eye look. Spots are commonly seen in freshwater velvet, but that is a different disease.
I rarely diagnose velvet by spots alone and a microscopic exam of a gill biopsy is really needed to be certain.

Luckily, copper handles all protozoans except Brooklynella.

Jay
I actually had one of my friends come by who is a vet and works with exotics such as fish. Its velvet. Really, I can spot velvet a mile away. I've worked with ick, it looks nothing like people keep saying. I can see the difference entirely. She's breathing rapidly and was in front of the powerhead. She's not eating either. Icks spots are way more prominent. Velvet is very delicate looking; dust like.You can count spots on ick even if its aggressive and late stages. Velvet, you cannot, there's thousands of very light dots like dust. Ick doesn't have a dust appearance and the spots are very "dark" white if that makes sense. I noticed it late last night when I got home. Took an hour to catch her and she was swimming on her side, then she went and laid down for a good while. I thought she was done for sure. She was upside down as well a few times. I tried to encourage her with the baster to fight her way. I woke up this morning, she was in the same condition. I had to work until about 9am. When I finished work I went a to cvs to get peroxide. I immediately checked on her when I got home and she was upside down. I tried to encourage her to swim again. I got the bath ready as fast as I could - 7 cups of salt water with 7.50mL of peroxide. I sat her in it for 30 mins. I also dosed her hospital tank. Its a very small tank 2.6 gallons so I dosed that very lightly. Right now... 3 hours later. SHE IS SWIMMING AROUND LIKE NORMAL!! I can't even believe what I am seeing. The dust is very faded right now, it is not nearly as pronounced as it was this morning and last night. I have the lights off and I have the temp very cold. I will keep her like this for the week. I hope she pulls through. She is a fighter!

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you will know soon enough if its velvet your display tank will likely start to display symptoms, if its not then it wont.,
It has. I have another fish, my citrus clown goby who is displaying it. I dosed the main tank with peroxide. Every 12 hours I will.

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really no harm in posting pics…a second pair of eyes is never a bad thing.
Let me know if this works: https://youtube.com/shorts/fKdbfdZSv9k?feature=share

This was late last night after I caught her and put her in the small hospital tank. I’m sorry that it’s on blue but u can see the spots more in the blue than in the white especially the dusty appearance. And the photo was this morning when I got up, she was laying down and kept going upside down. I really didn’t think she would be alive by the time I got home late morning today.

6C76C0B6-E681-480B-9ACA-30A0061A36CF.jpeg

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had someone come by who I work with. I have two jobs; my first one is with horses; racehorses; I ride. my second is an emergency vet clinic; the person who came by is a vet who works with exotics such as fish. He said it was velvet. My citrus clown goby is displaying so I treated the main tank with peroxide. Ruby (the flame angel who has it badly) is doing much better right now after the bath. I am truly convinced this peroxide is a God sent. Her demeanor has entirely changed after the peroxide bath. The dust already is half gone and she's swimming around normal. She isn't laying or going upside down. I am going to catch the citrus one and try to give him a bath in it as well.

Attachments

• 3-8.jpeg
    3-8.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even with the peroxide dips you should have them in copper qt .. the peroxide is not going to be 100 % effective....
I was told not to put copper and peroxide together. I have both tanks dosed with peroxide. The angel who was near death this morning upside down, is swimming now normally. I am going to stick with the peroxide baths and dosing the tanks every 12 hours with the peroxide. I dosed the main tank with the corals and all fish in it. only fish that is QT is the flame angel.

3-8.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had one of my friends come by who is a vet and works with exotics such as fish. Its velvet. Really, I can spot velvet a mile away. I've worked with ick, it looks nothing like people keep saying. I can see the difference entirely. She's breathing rapidly and was in front of the powerhead. She's not eating either. Icks spots are way more prominent. Velvet is very delicate looking; dust like.You can count spots on ick even if its aggressive and late stages. Velvet, you cannot, there's thousands of very light dots like dust. Ick doesn't have a dust appearance and the spots are very "dark" white if that makes sense. I noticed it late last night when I got home. Took an hour to catch her and she was swimming on her side, then she went and laid down for a good while. I thought she was done for sure. She was upside down as well a few times. I tried to encourage her with the baster to fight her way. I woke up this morning, she was in the same condition. I had to work until about 9am. When I finished work I went a to cvs to get peroxide. I immediately checked on her when I got home and she was upside down. I tried to encourage her to swim again. I got the bath ready as fast as I could - 7 cups of salt water with 7.50mL of peroxide. I sat her in it for 30 mins. I also dosed her hospital tank. Its a very small tank 2.6 gallons so I dosed that very lightly. Right now... 3 hours later. SHE IS SWIMMING AROUND LIKE NORMAL!! I can't even believe what I am seeing. The dust is very faded right now, it is not nearly as pronounced as it was this morning and last night. I have the lights off and I have the temp very cold. I will keep her like this for the week. I hope she pulls through. She is a fighter!
The dose for peroxide in the literature to control Amyloodinium through dips is 75 ppm. I don’t know the strength of your peroxide, but dipping for 30 minutes and then moving to a clean tank will buy you some time. Dips are never 100% effective, so you’ll want to either dip and move again, or follow up with another treatment like copper.
Turning the lights out may help with stress reduction, but it has no affect on Amyloodinium - again, it is freshwater velvet that has light reduction as an adjunct therapy - Amyloodinium lacks chloroplasts. You say the temperature is “very cold” - how cold did you drop it? That can have other repercussions.
Jay

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dose for peroxide in the literature to control Amyloodinium through dips is 75 ppm. I don’t know the strength of your peroxide, but dipping for 30 minutes and then moving to a clean tank will buy you some time. Dips are never 100% effective, so you’ll want to either dip and move again, or follow up with another treatment like copper.
Turning the lights out may help with stress reduction, but it has no affect on Amyloodinium - again, it is freshwater velvet that has light reduction as an adjunct therapy - Amyloodinium lacks chloroplasts. You say the temperature is “very cold” - how cold did you drop it? That can have other repercussions.
Jay
The vet told me to leave the temperature at 68 degrees. He said instead of putting the temperature more up to quicken the life span of the parasites, to do the exact opposite. He is here now looking at Ruby and helping me with the main tank to see if anyone else has it. My citrus looks like he's about it, he didn't eat when we fed and he's a cow when it comes to food so we gave him a peroxide bath. We dosed the main tank with all the fish and coral. He said to do it every 12 hours and put the temp at 68. instead of quickening the lifespan of velvet, he wants to do the opposite; slowing it down so it can't reproduce and have a chance to get worse. He has a 250g aquarium at home; he's a exotics vet. He had to deal with this one day and he had no fish die using the peroxide if you do it very carefully. every 12 hours 4mL only since I have a 40g tank, just enough to not stress coral, but enough to kill the velvet over time. He said to do this for 30 days. I am going to do 1030am and 1030pm 4mL - a water change after 15 days. and another after the 30 is done.

Edit: I am going to work now - I have a break around 6/630. I will check on Ruby then and keep you posted how everyone and her is doing. I just can't believe this morning before I left for my first job, she was upside down a few times. I really had to encourage her to move - this is what the vet said to do. When you see them on their side or upside down, to always help encourage their mood to move and fight. When I got home from work she looked dead. After the bath - she is now swimming and not going sideways or upside down. She's still breathing very heavy but she is swimming normal. I will try to feed her when I get home. Hope she pulls through!

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back