Velvet

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame Angel has velvet! I came home from work and just noticed the dust all over it! It’s super late and I don’t have anything to treat it. Took a dang hour to catch the Angel and put her in a hospital tank. Is there anything I can do now to help her? I can’t get to a store till they open tomorrow!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh water dip can provide temporary relief.

You will need to catch all your fish as they have all been exposed.

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Catch all of them and do what? Put them in the hospital tank? The hospital tank is extremely small. I can’t just treat the entire tank?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Massive aeration, lower the lights. A fw dip may buy you time. You may want to post pictures just to confirm, But if velvet and showing spots, respiratory issues will probably already be there. You'll need to get right up to therapeutic levels on whatever copper you can get in the a.m..

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catch all of them and do what? Put them in the hospital tank? The hospital tank is extremely small. I can’t just treat the entire tank?
Give us more to go on here. What kind of fish are in the tank, What is the volume of the tank?

And to put it bluntly yes, If you actually have velvet in your system, it's not going to stop with your flame angel. The entire tank should be emptied of fish, those fish moved into a cycled quarantine system to treat for a full cycle, leaving your display tank fallow, or fishless for a certain length of time.

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Catch all of them and do what? Put them in the hospital tank? The hospital tank is extremely small. O
Massive aeration, lower the lights. A fw dip may buy you time. You may want to post pictures just to confirm, But if velvet and showing spots, respiratory issues will probably already be there. You'll need to get right up to therapeutic levels on whatever copper you can get in the a.m..
*** it’s definitely velvet. I have work at 530. I can’t get to a dang store until I’m done around 10/1030. I can go as soon as im done in the late morning but the flame Angel looks bag. Covered entirely and not eating. The other fish do not have it. Although I found stuff that will treat the entire tank that is reef safe. I’ll check to see if the store will have it. In the meantime, I’ll shut the lights off and give the Angel a freshwater bath. How long do I let her sit in the freshwater?

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give us more to go on here. What kind of fish are in the tank, What is the volume of the tank?

And to put it bluntly yes, If you actually have velvet in your system, it's not going to stop with your flame angel. The entire tank should be emptied of fish, those fish moved into a cycled quarantine system to treat for a full cycle, leaving your display tank fallow, or fishless for a certain length of time.
I looked online for some stuff that will treat the entire tank that’s reef safe. I’m hoping the store has it tmr. None of the fish have the dust that the flame Angel does but I’m going to treat the entire tank anyway. I have a 40g breeder tank. There’s just no way I’ll be able to catch some of the fish without moving rocks and coral. That’s not happening

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no effective reef/ invert safe medications that work on velvet. Pretty much everything that claims to is snake oil.
There is. There stuff online for it that treats the tank that is safe for coral

Attachments

• 76BD6613-DC71-470F-9763-D8567DFDDD44.png
    76BD6613-DC71-470F-9763-D8567DFDDD44.png
    197 KB · Views: 42
  • 7A248AC9-C8EA-4778-A997-781A8C8578FD.png
    7A248AC9-C8EA-4778-A997-781A8C8578FD.png
    248.7 KB · Views: 50

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked online for some stuff that will treat the entire tank that’s reef safe. I’m hoping the store has it tmr. None of the fish have the dust that the flame Angel does but I’m going to treat the entire tank anyway. I have a 40g breeder tank. There’s just no way I’ll be able to catch some of the fish without moving rocks and coral. That’s not happening
Then you're likely sentencing some more to death.

There is no velvet management. Aer more isn't going to help. Velvet will likely wipe out most of the population of your fish. And will stay in your system infecting new fish that you add to it.

It may not be fun, but it's your responsibility to do something. In fact, I know it's not fun. I did this two years ago with a 120.

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have another tank to put all of your fish in, Look into a Rubbermaid tub, or a stock tub from tractor supply. Does can and are often used in a pinch.
My friend told me about this stuff, I’m going to check the stores for it. I ordered it now overnight just incase.

Attachments

• 972E539D-5219-4B1C-A671-A5827CF21892.png
    972E539D-5219-4B1C-A671-A5827CF21892.png
    197 KB · Views: 46
  • 475F691B-BB5D-42F2-AAA3-914563F84D7D.png
    475F691B-BB5D-42F2-AAA3-914563F84D7D.png
    248.7 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You missed the most important part...

EFFECTIVE.

Seems like you've got it down. Good luck.
Crossing my fingers. My friend said he had really bad velvet and ordered this stuff and it wiped it out in 2 days and it was reef safe. I just ordered it and I’m gonna check the store tomorrow to see if they have it. The Angel is breathing heavy so I’m not sure how much time she has. This is devastating!

Attachments

• DC00E2C9-CD45-46BF-8D84-5072A5D2E1A9.png
    DC00E2C9-CD45-46BF-8D84-5072A5D2E1A9.png
    248.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 0D4E5780-3426-433D-9404-989D234BD146.png
    0D4E5780-3426-433D-9404-989D234BD146.png
    197 KB · Views: 37

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crossing my fingers. My friend said he had really bad velvet and ordered this stuff and it wiped it out in 2 days and it was reef safe. I just ordered it and I’m gonna check the store tomorrow to see if they have it. The Angel is breathing heavy so I’m not sure how much time she has. This is devastating!
Tomorrow may be too late honestly. Velvet works fast.

You may be a candidate for this experimental parasite management technique that was developed on the humblefish forums. Uses peroxide, carbon (maybe not necessary but recommended) and ideally a dosing pump, but for an emergency manually dosing should do the trick until you get a dosing pump if you don't have one. It's reef safe and invert safe. It works by oxidizing the parasites when in their free swimming state and suppresses further infections until eventually the population of parasites fizzles out. Read up and make sure you do it right. Lots of trials and reports in that thread. It may have negative effects on some aspects of the tank's microbiome but I don't think enough to let all your fish die.

This may be the best way for you to handle this. And the people who have done it seem to think it has a better success rate than trying to fish everything out into a copper tank.

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow may be too late honestly. Velvet works fast.

You may be a candidate for this experimental parasite management technique that was developed on the humblefish forums. Uses peroxide, carbon (maybe not necessary but recommended) and ideally a dosing pump, but for an emergency manually dosing should do the trick until you get a dosing pump if you don't have one. It's reef safe and invert safe. It works by oxidizing the parasites when in their free swimming state and suppresses further infections until eventually the population of parasites fizzles out. Read up and make sure you do it right. Lots of trials and reports in that thread. It may have negative effects on some aspects of the tank's microbiome but I don't think enough to let all your fish die.

This may be the best way for you to handle this. And the people who have done it seem to think it has a better success rate than trying to fish everything out into a copper tank.
I just realized I have paragaurd. Someone said to use that for now until tomorrow. So I just dosed the hospital tank that has the Angel in it. None of the other fish look like they have it. Everyone’s eating and swimming normal. She was the only one that had it. However I ordered stuff to treat the whole tank. I’m going to check the store tmr if they have it meanwhile I ordered it online and overnighted it. Keeping my fingers crossed. Horrible way to come home after work!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized I have paragaurd. Someone said to use that for now until tomorrow. So I just dosed the hospital tank that has the Angel in it. None of the other fish look like they have it. Everyone’s eating and swimming normal. She was the only one that had it. However I ordered stuff to treat the whole tank. I’m going to check the store tmr if they have it meanwhile I ordered it online and overnighted it. Keeping my fingers crossed. Horrible way to come home after work!

Sorry to hear. Copper and high dose hydrogen peroxide dips are the two methods that have some good background to them. The Polyp Lab Medic is a peroxide salt, so is related to a product shown to work in research, but I worry that the dose is too low so that it will remain safe for invertebrates (I'm not suggesting using it at a higher dose though!). The Paraguard has a poor track record treating marine ich, so I wouldn't expect it to work well on velvet.

Jay

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. Copper and high dose hydrogen peroxide dips are the two methods that have some good background to them. The Polyp Lab Medic is a peroxide salt, so is related to a product shown to work in research, but I worry that the dose is too low so that it will remain safe for invertebrates (I'm not suggesting using it at a higher dose though!). The Paraguard has a poor track record treating marine ich, so I wouldn't expect it to work well on velvet.

Jay
Someone said they had 20 fish with velvet and they had a ton of coral and what not. They said the polyp saved his entire tank in a matter of 2-3 days. So I ordered it. Not too many people know about it and I don’t know why! It has excellent reviews. I hope the stores have it. I get done with work in about an hour. The Angel fish was not doing well, she was swimming but she went on her side a few times so I’m running out of time. Of course it has to be my favorite one right? So horrible! I feel so awful for her. I gave her a freshwater bath before I left. Hopefully it gave her slight relief. Although I don’t think the stores open till 9. Bummer!!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without pictures, there is no way to know that this is even velvet.
At the concentrations needed for any med to be reef safe, it is no longer effective against ich or velvet - the best thing you can do is move all fish into a qt with copper if you want any chance of saving them. Either way it may be too late for the angel, but it’s not too late for the rest of your fish.
Most people on here know about polyplab medic and that it is ineffective.
Your friend either did not have velvet or lied about the “medication’s” effectiveness.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back