Venting my frustration about non-reefers

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This past weekend, my wife and I had some people over and while sitting in the living room where the aquarium is located, someone commented on my "Dori" fish. The only thing is that I don't have a regal blue tang, I have a powder blue tang. I explained that I don't have a "Dori" fish and showed a picture of a blue tang on my phone so that they could see how different they look. Even after showing the picture, everyone agreed that they looked very similar, and my first reaction was "really?!" The reply was that they both have blue and yellow to which I replied, "so every fish that has blue and yellow on it looks the same?" After a couple minutes of describing all the differences, I gave up because I got the sense that I was making an butt out of myself. It was described to me that they only look so different to me because I am involved in the hobby and am more knowledgeable. But I feel that you don't need prior knowledge, but only eyes, to see that they are not the same. Anyway, I just felt like I was taking crazy pills and wanted to vent my frustration.

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After stopping by this weekend, I can appreciate the effort you put into your tank and care, so I can understand the frustration when non reefers miss the easy details. I’ve had guests ask me if my corals are live plants, that’s an annoying one to answer. Yet little do they know the intricacies and commitment of keeping a reef tank: part time marine biologist, chemist, fish / coral vet, plumber, engineer, programmer etc. Worth the vent for sure. End of the day, I look at it and try to find it as an opportunity to share a little ocean trivia with people. ;)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens to all of us! I’m soo sick of hearing “oh looks a nemo!” It’s a clownfish yes, butthole of a fish, yes, but nemo NO! Makes me want to burn pixar studios down!!!
It's the same with other things too. I can't tell you how many grey cats I've seen named "Kitty soft paws"!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fun fact I bring up is that if finding Nemo were remotely accurate is that Nemo would likey try breed with marlin since he;d trurn into a female.
I can see it now the next release in the series will be clownfish struggling with gender identity issues.

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It happens to all of us! I’m soo sick of hearing “oh looks a nemo!” It’s a clownfish yes, *** hole of a fish, yes, but nemo NO! Makes me want to burn pixar studios down!!!
Ah yes, I have my tanks in our shop where we get plenty of friends and customers in. People will sometimes comment how they’d love to start a tank with “Nemos” and then I stick my hand in the tank to show them what owning Nemos is really like. Dodging bites and getting splashed in the face. Lol
Someone posted a question on FB about how to get your clowns to stop biting… the consensus was, “if you ever figure it out, let us know!”

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah yes, I have my tanks in our shop where we get plenty of friends and customers in. People will sometimes comment how they’d love to start a tank with “Nemos” and then I stick my hand in the tank to show them what owning Nemos is really like. Dodging bites and getting splashed in the face. Lol
Someone posted a question on FB about how to get your clowns to stop biting… the consensus was, “if you ever figure it out, let us know!”
I should mention that I don’t dissuade anyone from the hobby… I just want them to know there are nicer fish and clowns aren’t all friendly little Nemos :)

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

TheyGaveItToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This past weekend, my wife and I had some people over and while sitting in the living room where the aquarium is located, someone commented on my "Dori" fish. The only thing is that I don't have a regal blue tang, I have a powder blue tang. I explained that I don't have a "Dori" fish and showed a picture of a blue tang on my phone so that they could see how different they look. Even after showing the picture, everyone agreed that they looked very similar, and my first reaction was "really?!" The reply was that they both have blue and yellow to which I replied, "so every fish that has blue and yellow on it looks the same?" After a couple minutes of describing all the differences, I gave up because I got the sense that I was making an butt out of myself. It was described to me that they only look so different to me because I am involved in the hobby and am more knowledgeable. But I feel that you don't need prior knowledge, but only eyes, to see that they are not the same. Anyway, I just felt like I was taking crazy pills and wanted to vent my frustration.
You know how they say, "Crazy people, think they are sane."? We/you might be a prime example.

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's difficult for people outside of the hobby to differentiate. Thing is, when you start in this hobby you research, study, and learn about all types of species so its easy to see the differences. Another thing is over time you also tend to gain the ability to spot very fine detail in things. Majority of the population are going to see those two fish as the same. Just like different color morphs of clownfish (like the black and white ones) people may not even recognize that it's even a clownfish or a "Nemo" at all.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a reef fish, but the flag rockfish (Sebastes rubrivinctus) was always doomed to become "Nemo" at the local aquarium.
1668408562189.png

Baby Shark also bugs me out since shark parental care doesn't really exist (though some bullhead sharks at least carry their developing egg cases to safe locations in their mouths :)).
I Never Knew My Father Nemo GIF - I Never Knew My Father Nemo Shark -  Discover & Share GIFs

TheyGaveItToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a reef fish, but the flag rockfish (Sebastes rubrivinctus) was always doomed to become "Nemo" at the local aquarium.
1668408562189.png

Baby Shark also bugs me out since shark parental care doesn't really exist (though some bullhead sharks at least carry their developing egg cases to safe locations in their mouths :)).
I Never Knew My Father Nemo GIF - I Never Knew My Father Nemo Shark -  Discover & Share GIFs
If given a choice between having to play a Pixar character or the dinner plate, I think it wouldn't mind being misidentified. Because, that guy looks taste.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least they were interested enough in your aquarium to notice :D

Also funny when the fish you spent $xxx on (or maybe even $xxxx :oops:) get passed over for the $10 pair of damsels you got on sale.
They always pick the $3 fish over the $300 one... So true

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back