Venting my frustration about non-reefers

Funwithreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After stopping by this weekend, I can appreciate the effort you put into your tank and care, so I can understand the frustration when non reefers miss the easy details. I’ve had guests ask me if my corals are live plants, that’s an annoying one to answer. Yet little do they know the intricacies and commitment of keeping a reef tank: part time marine biologist, chemist, fish / coral vet, plumber, engineer, programmer etc. Worth the vent for sure. End of the day, I look at it and try to find it as an opportunity to share a little ocean trivia with people. ;)
Very well said.

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Annoying when you have a reeftank which obviously is loaded with corals and friends, family and acquaintances keep asking you "how are your fish doing".

The only one asking the right questions are the reefingbuddies
inbound3768711727544189941.jpg

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually don't mind when people come to my reef and say oh look nemo oh and Dory wow you have all the finding nemo fish, but something that does bother me a bit is when someone sees the thank and they are like "oh cool" like whatever or just walk by it and don't notice !!! like how do you not notice this piece of ocean in my living room lol ! some people don't know the value of work and don't care sometimes for the beauty of nature I also own a 1,000 gallon pond with 2 waterfalls and 30 koi and sometimes people have the same reaction as if it was like whatever! So even if you have to fake your reaction when someone shows you there hard work or something they built, compliment them and ask them how they did it and why they did it and just seem interested in what they do they'll appreciate it! well that was my lil rant id prefer people calling my fish nemo and arguing about they all look the same rather than them not even acknowledging the tanks!

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to maintain a 120 gallon FOWLR tank in a local campground. Plenty of Dory and Nemo comments.

I actually had the store call me because a lady (girl sounded like), didn't like what I was feeding the fish. I had a small container of pellets that I kept by the tank for the owners to feed. It may have originally contained shrimp pellets or something else. I think it had Formula One or Two pellets in it. When I checked on the tank the fish would also get seaweed and other food. The girl told me on the phone that fish should be getting coral to eat....I had a Regal Tang, Foxface, clownfish, several damsels and possibly a wrasse.

Another time, one of the older workers wondered where all the pretty red algae that was covering the rocks went...you mean the cyano.

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually don't mind when people come to my reef and say oh look nemo oh and Dory wow you have all the finding nemo fish, but something that does bother me a bit is when someone sees the thank and they are like "oh cool" like whatever or just walk by it and don't notice !!! like how do you not notice this piece of ocean in my living room lol ! some people don't know the value of work and don't care sometimes for the beauty of nature I also own a 1,000 gallon pond with 2 waterfalls and 30 koi and sometimes people have the same reaction as if it was like whatever! So even if you have to fake your reaction when someone shows you there hard work or something they built, compliment them and ask them how they did it and why they did it and just seem interested in what they do they'll appreciate it! well that was my lil rant id prefer people calling my fish nemo and arguing about they all look the same rather than them not even acknowledging the tanks!
Just doesn't bother me cause I often feel the same about their hobbies and don't want to hear them talk about it

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This past weekend, my wife and I had some people over and while sitting in the living room where the aquarium is located, someone commented on my "Dori" fish. The only thing is that I don't have a regal blue tang, I have a powder blue tang. I explained that I don't have a "Dori" fish and showed a picture of a blue tang on my phone so that they could see how different they look. Even after showing the picture, everyone agreed that they looked very similar, and my first reaction was "really?!" The reply was that they both have blue and yellow to which I replied, "so every fish that has blue and yellow on it looks the same?" After a couple minutes of describing all the differences, I gave up because I got the sense that I was making an butt out of myself. It was described to me that they only look so different to me because I am involved in the hobby and am more knowledgeable. But I feel that you don't need prior knowledge, but only eyes, to see that they are not the same. Anyway, I just felt like I was taking crazy pills and wanted to vent my frustration.
Your taking this way too personal , I would have had fun with it and told them that it was worth $50,000 as it’s the original one that was in the movie . Lol!!! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Widdlyscudds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm Italian too, and I completely understand....lol
lol It's a real conundrum, on the one hand I want to show people the tank, but on the other I know they are pretty much a fear bomb for my live stock lol. "please stop waving your hands around you're scaring the fish" "ok ok my bad" two seconds later *violent hand waving* lolol
Animated GIF

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg. Had a friend over last night and he love the set up. Now get this, he called my chaeto ‘grass’. You could imagine the fantasies Going through my mind:

1. Hauling off and decking him
2. Grabbing him by the neck and drowning him in my tank
3. My favorite: forcefeeding him ‘the grass’ till he choked!!

how dare he!!

Vegan Grass GIF

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back